Viewing: 1-17 of 17
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 25, 2010 1:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Canaaneering

Wise decision. Good thing you had boot holes to follow. I went across that plateau in a snowy April, and got very very cold.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Apr 25, 2010 1:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Canaaneering

I was very tempted to try to go across that plateau. There were no tracks anywhere past the 'Top of Rocks' that I could see. What I saw of the plateau made me vow to come back some day - it is National Park material up there.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Acceptable Risks

Good story. Your son seems to have very sound judgment. I've turned back several times climbing peaks out here in California with my son when the route presented risks I wasn't willing to expose my son to. I find it a real challenge to know when you can push the envelope with your kids (after all, you do want to challenge them)and when to back off.

Also, I thought you had a great point when you mentioned assessing the route in terms of assuming your child might have to retrace it by himself in the event of an emergency.

Augie

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Acceptable Risks

Thanks! About pushing the envelope, you hit the nail on the head. I want Evan to learn to not quit easily, yet not to take foolish risks. Though we only ended up climbing one summit hat week, I think we made good choices throughout. One exception: I need to choose to talk with back country rangers before I set out.

inconsolable

inconsolable - May 2, 2010 3:52 am - Voted 10/10

Acceptable risks

Nicely done, both in the living of it, and the reporting. Finding that balance between challenge and terror isn't easy. Sounds as though your son has learned to make that judgment on his own -- vindication of your efforts. Great adventures ahead!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 3, 2010 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Acceptable risks

Thanks! The next adventure we have planned is Glacier National Park at the end of July. Hopefully we will keep that balance.

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - May 2, 2010 3:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Epic or Idiotic

I like that statement. Often there's a fine line between the two. Sounds like you guys had a great week together in a fabulous area and made good decisions that should only be beneficial to Evan's decision-making process on future climbs. Nice to see you're teaching him to have a healthy respect for what could happen out in the mountains.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 3, 2010 9:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Epic or Idiotic

We did have a great trip - despite it being shortened at the end. It certainly is a fabulous area and I can't wait to go back (and stay on the epic side of the equation).

dadndave

dadndave - May 2, 2010 7:17 pm - Hasn't voted

What ....

....Mtn Impulse and Brad said.

I climbed Lembert Dome with my then 14 year old son, I climb regularly with my now 14 year old daughter. I think your judgement is pretty balanced and your son will most likely pick up on that.

Many people forget that driving to the trailhead is statistically more dangerous than what happens next.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 3, 2010 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What ....

I bet I will be much more nervous when Evan takes the car out on his own the first time than any climb we've ever been on.

cp0915

cp0915 - May 2, 2010 11:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Great read

I really enjoyed reading your trip report and looking through your pictures. It made me smile to read how much you and your son enjoyed yourselves, despite the heavy snow. Zion's a great place, and you two seem to really dig it.

I think you guys are right about how infrequently Lost Peak is climbed. Those dinner plate rocks are funky. Nice views though, eh?

Have you considered looking for the ledge that works around the west side of South Ariel? While narrow and exposed in a few spots, it's overall quite a lot easier than the way up the southeast face. The exit from the ledge on the northwest side of the peak is short and probably the worst part of the route. Be careful on the final summit scramble too, as the rock's horribly loose and the exposure is bad. A nice summit though!

Thanks again. Great pics!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 3, 2010 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great read

Thanks cp0915. The Zion Summit book made the trip hugely fun. The views from Lost Peak were extraordinary - with the combination of Clear Creek canyon and the falls, I'm surprised it isn't better known.

2 years earlier I beleive that Evan and I did take the ramp all the way to the west of South Ariel, but I may not have gone North far enough. We were just about 30 feet (it seemed)from the summit and I lacked the skills to go any further. [img:457080:alignleft:medium:South Ariel]

cp0915

cp0915 - May 4, 2010 9:57 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great read

Excellent. I'm thrilled you guys had a great time.

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - May 4, 2010 7:28 am - Voted 10/10

Nice..

Nice history. I am school teacher, lots of my students (teens) hates to do something with their parents... They just want to waste time playing "virtual" games or chating with "virtual" friend on internet. Congratulations to Evan and you, you both are good example of nice relationship between father & son.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 4, 2010 9:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice..

Thanks - Evan loves Xbox, Cable and Internet but, I am glad to say, also does Soccer, Clarinet and the outdoors. He is also quite handy to have around when one cannot walk.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Oct 14, 2010 9:22 am - Voted 10/10

Great Times With Your Son

I, too, have spent considerable time in the wilderness with my son, beginning when his mother died 12 years ago. Each summer we'd take an extended trip to visit the U.S. national parks. He's now a senior at Oklahoma University, so it's tougher, but we still manage to squeeze in a few days here or there to spend some "alone time" in the wilderness. I'm sure you already know, those will be some of the most precious memories that both of you have of each other. Too bad you didn't make Capitol Reef. If you haven't been there before, well, you're in for a treat. --mark d.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Oct 14, 2010 6:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Times With Your Son

Someday I will be back to Capitol Reef, hopefully with Evan. I am glad to hear Father son trips extend into the College years!

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to '13 Year Old climbs 6460 and other Dilemmas' main page