31-July-2005: View of...

31-July-2005: View of...

31-July-2005: View of Sawtooth Peak and the Canyon Creek lakes from summit. Curious about beta for Sawtooth...
rhyang
on Aug 1, 2005 3:58 pm
Image ID: 117881

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Aug 1, 2005 4:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Sawtooth

I just found my copy of Wayne Moss' guide to the Trinity Alps. He talks about Sawtooth Mtn in there, and says it can be climbed via its east ridge (keeping to the north side)--the summit sounds like it's an exposed scramble with interesting route finding (some people apparently rope up). He also says that if you climb one peak in the Trinity Alps, this should be the one. I think I'll have to make another trip out there.



BTW, turns out he also talks about Wedding Cake, and suggests the same route we took. I should have looked in that book beforehand...

oracle43 - Nov 30, 2007 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

sawtooth peak

The best approach to sawtooth is via Canyon Creek Lakes and Ell Lake. From Ell Lake ascend the buttress above the lake on the right side to the snow field above. Ascend the snow field straight up right under the summit block and exit to the left to the east side of Sawtooth. This is the east ridge and as Wayne Moss says, you can scramble this ridge, with some route finding problems, to the summit. There is some exposure and " some people apparently rope up". The buttress and snow field above it can be seen clearly in the photograph. Ell Lake is just out of sight in the cirque below the buttress.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2