Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Dec 23, 2009 10:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report

Thanks. Merry Christmas!

maddie77777

maddie77777 - Dec 23, 2009 10:34 am - Voted 10/10

Sad to see, but you're right...

I have a 12 year old Weimaraner that over the past 2 years has had a fairly drastic change in her endurance. Her entire life I've tried to wear her out, and just over the last 2 years, she has trouble hiking even a few miles through the woods. Glad you made it out ok. I don't think there's any way I could lug her 85 pounds down a hill.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Dec 23, 2009 10:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sad to see, but you're right...

Thanks for your comment. Merry Christmas!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 25, 2009 10:25 am - Voted 10/10

Koira

I'm glad that Koira made it out okay. You were a great companion to her for carrying her out.

I used to hate encountering dogs on the trails. Then I started hiking with my pal, Andy Kunkle who almost always brings his dog along. One of the dogs who used to join us was an old girl named Saucony. She was at the end of her life when I started hiking with them and sometimes got tired, but she was always a pleasure to hike with. Dogs seem to enjoy hiking the mountains even more than the humans do.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Dec 27, 2009 2:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Koira

Thanks, Bob. Happy New Year to you!

rasgoat

rasgoat - Dec 25, 2009 12:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Yeah,

Glad you & your pup made it out safe. The Northeast has some of the most rugged hiking trails anywhere! My joints always hurt from the constant pounding of boulders and roots.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Dec 27, 2009 2:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yeah,

Thanks, and I agree with your assessment of the NE trails. Folks from out west have a hard time beleiving the ruggedness of some of these trails until they experience them first hand. Years ago I broke a hiking boot getting through Mahoosuc Notch. Carried a dog through that one as well, but it was only to get her over the huge boulders that she couldn't climb up. Happy New Year!

EastcoastMike

EastcoastMike - Dec 29, 2009 2:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow

Glad the dog made it back ok. Nice report.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Jan 1, 2010 8:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow

Thanks. Hope you find a lot of great new climbs in 2010!

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Jan 6, 2010 11:53 pm - Voted 10/10

My old guy is starting to slow down too

But he still gets very bitter if I leave the house with my pack and don't take him. His enthusiasm hasn't waned, but his endurance has. You're right - it's a hard thing to admit.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Jan 11, 2010 1:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: My old guy is starting to slow down too

Yeah, it's a tough thing to deal with...Hang in there!

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'A Cautionary Tale of Hiking with Your Older Dog - Rocky Peak Ridge Traverse' main page