Viewing: 1-10 of 10
FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - May 28, 2008 1:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mandatory Reading!

Thanks for the comment Fredd. I know this is a problem out there. My Grandfather was a guide in the Bob Marshal Wilderness and worked outside for years with little protection. He too had problems with skin cancer. An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a POUND of Cure!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 28, 2008 10:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Useful article

The pictures alone should convince people to take this seriously! Many people don't know that risk of sunburn is greater at higher altitudes even if it's not that hot. In my early 20's, I used to slap on that oil all summer and get about as dark as I could. Nowadays, although I still bask a little, it's SPF 30 all day in the mountains and usually after about half an hour in the backyard.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 29, 2008 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Hats, veils... eskimo slits...

maybe you can describe alternative ways of protecting oneself from the sun too. Like what I used on a trip a couple weeks back in lieu of sunglasses :)


Other interesting sub-topics are sun-sensitizing plants like cow parsnip, and genetic predisposition to UV damage (from red hair and blue eyes all the way to familial melanoma)

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - May 29, 2008 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hats, veils... eskimo slits...

Already addressed the gentic predisposition hair eyes etc. Certainly need to keep in mind.

I am sure there are a lot of other ways to protect yourself that I have not covered. Thanks for the cool picture. If you want you can attach it to the page.

Nikman

Nikman - Jun 1, 2008 5:43 am - Voted 10/10

No problems ...

... since I use:

Piz Buin Mountain SPF 50 Extreme Sun Cream

http://www.douglas.de/DGCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=40653

I tried all kind of different stuff before, but this is the best!

climberska - Jun 8, 2008 4:13 am - Hasn't voted

Shades for the eyes

The photo of "shades for the eyes" show a lens you can easily see through - not my idea of good mountaineering eyewear.

I have to wear prescription lenses and it is very difficult to find good ones that are dark enough. I think the selection now-days is not the best.

Sometimes I get a sunburn on my forehead because I can't put sunscreen on it or else it will run down into my eyes as I sweat. Even with a hat, the sun reflecting off the snow will get ya. Know of any sunblock that will not run when you are sweating?

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jun 13, 2008 11:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Shades for the eyes

Thanks for the comments.

Amended 6-14-08

There is a photo of a decent pair of Jublo included in the article. I added the shades and hat to help identify the importance of wearing a hat with a brim to protect from the sun. A full brim would be better but who can stand those things?

As far as sun screen. I am using Coppertone Sport Faces. The label says it won't run into the eyes. I don't know if that's true beacuse hasn't been raining in Montana thus no opportunity to sweat.

Coppertone Sport Faces is rated at 50 SPF and guards against UVA and UVB. It is supposed to be waterproof as well.

ClaireJ

ClaireJ - Mar 6, 2009 5:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank You

I experienced UV keratitis this past weekend after long exposure, at high altitude on a snowfield. I learned the hard way about protecting one's eyes!

ClaireJ

ClaireJ - Mar 6, 2009 5:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank You

I experienced UV keratitis this past weekend after long exposure, at high altitude on a snowfield. I learned the hard way about protecting one's eyes!

GlacierCountry

GlacierCountry - Sep 11, 2019 7:48 am - Voted 10/10

Good Reminder

Blake,
Ran across this page today and can appreciate the reminder. Friend of mine got snow blindness on Rainier two years ago. She was wearing her regular sunglasses and was getting puffy eyes and poor vision...then it hit us! Duh! Eyes and skin are so very important.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'A Climber’s Guide to Prevention of Sun Damage' main page