A Guide to the Routes around Watson Lake Dam

A Guide to the Routes around Watson Lake Dam

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Hiking

A Guide to the Routes around Watson Lake Dam

Watson Lake Dam is a stunning man-made edifice that sits out near the town of Prescott in Arizona. The sheer size of the construct is impressive, and a point of interest for those who have an interest in not just hiking but our own history, landscape and technology.

Like all dams, this one was an incredible feat of engineering, although in recent years repairs have begun; this includes the use of polymer coating technology that is resistant to erosion, corrosion, and the extreme conditions that dam parts are subject to. Interesting, but perhaps importantly for us it means that this dam and resultant lake are being maintained and will continue for some time.

Fantastic news, since Watson Lake Dam is just magnificent to behold, a favorite of photographers and amble impetus to get your boots on and take a trail on or near to the Dam, thereby making the most of this spectacular sight, as well as all the beautiful and bountiful nature surrounding it.

But how about these trails? Which one might be best for you? Let’s take a look so that you can decide…

Watson Lake Loop Trail / Watson Lake Trail

Difficulty: moderately challenging You can walk around the lake in a continuous loop. This loop trail is approximately 4.8 miles in length, and takes an average of around 2 hours to complete. A must-hike!

Flume and Watson Dam Trailhead

Difficult: mildly to moderately challenging There are multiple loop options available from Flume and the Watson Dam Trailhead. Since these trails interlink, there is no set distance for walkers, but be warned that some of the trails include steep sections and even some rock scrambling. Great fun, though, of course!

The North Shore Trail

Difficulty: very challenging This is a specific section of the Watson Lake Trail that includes very rocky, very steep terrain, and is only encouraged for those who are very comfortable with scrambling, scree, and putting in a fair bit of physical effort and exertion (like us!).

The Over the Hill Trail 

Difficulty: moderately challenging This is a similarly rocky but a slightly more moderate section of Watson Lake Trail. Perfect for people who want to test their legs but not wear themselves out, or who want to spend a bit of time admiring the view rather than sweating it out.

The Peavine and Lower Granite Creek Trail

Difficulty: easy We’re including these here because you always need an easy option! This one is ideal for families with small children, or for those wanting to take things at a more leisurely pace. You can also stop to smell the flowers – and there are many, many gorgeous blooms to see here.

Despite the ongoing dam repairs, or perhaps because of them, it’s easy to see that Weston Lake Dam is a bit of a hiker’s dream. Whichever trail you choose, it truly is a man-made, magnificent marvel, and we recommend you to get your boots on and hit those hills and hiking ways as soon as you can.

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.