Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Kane

Kane - Sep 6, 2006 1:35 am - Voted 10/10

Hi

So you must have been off of the mountain by 11:00am on sunday right? I was up on Clark Peak enjoying the view of Capitol and watchng the choo choo train of climbers taking advantage of the best possible weather. I got up on Clarks east ridge around 11:00 and got down around 1:00. I'm just wondering if I saw ya'll. Good job on Capitol. You should see what that mountain looks like from Clark.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Sep 6, 2006 1:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi

Thanks, it was perfect on Sunday! Congrats on Clark, it looks pretty impressive from Capitol itself. We were probably around the Daly-Capitol saddle at 1, and back at the camps at around 1.30. Did you head to Clark via the ridge connecting with K2?

Kiefer

Kiefer - Sep 15, 2006 11:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Great read!

As usual, an excellent write-up ChicagoTransplant! You've got some great pictures too. Staying to the ridgecrest sounds like an interesting variety (route).
How's Avon been lately?

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Sep 17, 2006 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great read!

Thanks Keifer! We had about the best weather you could want for a peak like that, you should have been there! I know you've had bad luck with weather on Capitol...

x377835

x377835 - Sep 29, 2006 7:36 pm - Voted 9/10

Great Weekend for Capitol

Thanks for the report. We climbed on Saturday of Labor day weekend 2006. So we did not have near the crowd that Sunday did. I would guess about a dozen people summited Sat.

Sunday morning when I got up, there was a steady stream of headlamps heading up to the Daly saddle.

One of the best weekends of weather you could ask for.

I have only done 8 14ers so far but Capitol was a blast and I will do it again, hopefully next year.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Sep 30, 2006 4:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Weekend for Capitol

I couldn't agree more, it seems every other weekend in September was cold and wet, August was pretty much a washout too. It was nice to get a good window in to climb this peak in such an ideal condition

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Dec 11, 2006 10:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I read this a while back...

Let me know when you want to go, I want to go back! Its the most fun 14er I have done yet.

foxylady

foxylady - Jun 12, 2007 2:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Whoa!

Scary stuff. Would you recommend this as a first 14er?

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jun 13, 2007 12:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Whoa!

Its definitely not a good idea for a first fourteener. The only way would be if you had a lot of experience on similar terrain at this altitude, say some of Capitol's neigboring 13ers. The rock in the Elks can be quite loose, though Capitol is more solid than most of the range. Even with solid rock climbing experience the exposure and loose rock are a whole nother ball game at altitude.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'A Walk Across The Sky: Capitol Peak' main page