Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Klenke

Klenke - Aug 10, 2015 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good luck on your quest!!

Andy Dewey is not within site. He is out of sight. He was out of sight on Sept. 4, 2012.

EastKing

EastKing - Aug 11, 2015 4:14 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Good luck on your quest!!

Wow, I have got to keep up on the records. Lindsey Warren is now the record holder. Sorry!

Murph1 - Aug 7, 2015 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Follow Your Dream!

CEIGE:
I enjoyed your trip report! You have the enthusiasm I had
when I was a young man 50 years ago. There are several climbs
on your list that are going to require you to come up with a
rope mate to complete them safely. Don't try any of the major
glaciated peak routes without a partner. There are a few of
the top 100 which will require Class 5.8 rock climbing skills
and some with strong ice and snow climbing experience. Don't
get over confident and try a peak beyond your experience level
Ask on Summit Post or Cascade Climber for advise about which
peaks to avoid until you have the climbing experience.
Happy Peak Bagging!
Murph 1

CEIGE

CEIGE - Aug 8, 2015 6:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Follow Your Dream!

Thanks for the insight! I'm not really planning on doing much with complicated and steep glaciers this summer. I will use the winter to gain some much needed experience in that area. As for climbing, I have a decent amount of experience having done a couple 5.10s before but always in much more controlled environments. Fortunately, I live in Bellingham and have quick access to plenty of lowland rocks and crags to hone these skills year round. This year's plan is mostly peaks that are fairly simple: lots of talus, getting used to exposure, and only flirting with class 4- assuming I learned anything from this trip that is.

ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - Aug 10, 2015 3:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Be thankful

That the Bulgers gerrymandered the list to exclude the most difficult peaks, otherwise the task would be more daunting yet. FYI, I know the current age record holder. She started when she was 16 and it took her about 10 years. Being a bit younger than the current record holder would be impressive, doing so in 3 years would be phenomenal. Good luck.

CEIGE

CEIGE - Aug 10, 2015 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Be thankful

Ultimately, I don't want to rush it. I want to finish it and giving myself a timeline to get it done by is just the easiest way for me to keep myself focused. These 100 are really just the start. The sooner I get through them, the sooner I can move on to other stuff.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Be thankful

This whole paragraph seems to speak contradictions. You don't want to rush it, but you want to get them done as soon as possible. It's God's country out there. Enjoy it at a pace that still allows you to see it/discover it/be immersed in it in a way that makes it seem more like fun and less like work.

Setting a timeline is reasonable, but you will find that as you get nearer to the end of any peakbagging list your efficiency of getting the remaining peaks done will decline somewhat asymptotically to the zero-point. Trust me, I know. I've been working on peakbagging lists for years. So although you may like to think that if you can do 20 in one year then you can get all 100 in five years, this is not ever how it really works. As others have hinted at above, there are complications that arise especially with the peaks that are more complicated.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Accidental Triumphs and Lessons Learned' main page