Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
brandon

brandon - Nov 21, 2009 12:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

Patrick, I'm so sorry you experienced this, and thank you for helping us know what happened. Brilliant job self-rescuing under the circumstances.

climber555

climber555 - Nov 21, 2009 5:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry....

Sorry to hear about Ishun. Im sure this tragedy will effect every climber who reads this report.

silversummit

silversummit - Nov 22, 2009 8:44 am - Voted 10/10

Difficult time

Well recounted and hopefully will help ease the pain a bit. I'm so sorry you have lost a good friend so tragically.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 22, 2009 10:03 am - Voted 10/10

Sad...

very sad... so many of us had some near misses, and survived, and it is so sad to hear when it does not happen. It makes me realize our vulnerability... even wondering if I should go climbing today?
No, we have to keep climbing, we love it and are willing to take the risk. I think that Ishun would want us to continue...

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Nov 22, 2009 12:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Haishan

Thank you for sharing this tragic story of what must have been a terrible ordeal. My thoughts go out to Ishun, David, you and all the friends and family affected by this accident.

fossana

fossana - Nov 22, 2009 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

tragic

Patrick, thanks for taking the time to document this tragic event. I hope at least in a small way it helps to ease your grief. My condolences go out to you and Ishun's other friends and family members.

mvs

mvs - Nov 22, 2009 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

very moving, thank you

It must have been difficult to write, but it was wonderful of you to share the account with us. I'm very sorry Ishun is gone and I wish you and all her friends and family the best.

GSArchie - Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Condolences

This story has touched me quite a bit and I think it just makes me realize how easy it is to get into trouble out there and just how fragile of beings we really are. Ironically, the times that I would say I feel most invincible is while on top of or coming down from a mountain. I can only imagine what I'd do if my good friend that I climb with were to die on a mountian. I'll keep you guys and your families in my thoughts.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am - Voted 10/10

My Condolences Patrick

And thank you for recounting the events that led to the tragic death of your dear friend and climbing partner Ishun. I have no doubt that you will spend many hours analyzing and thinking about that fateful day, and I would encourage you, and David to reach out to your friends and Ishuns` friends in order to find some solace in this grievous time. Heal each other well, as you yourself have begun the healing process.
Rest in Peace Ishun.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Nov 23, 2009 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

Very sad indeed

I think this is a very moving account of what would ordinarily have been a minor, not to serious fall, but then became lethal because of just a small incident, the cam catching on the knob. I can understand how hard it must be for you and David to lose a climbing colleague and good friend in this manner, and I feel deeply with you. At least you can find solace in the thought that none of you had committed any error for which you could be considered responsible for what happened. My condolences to you and David, and Ishun's family and friends.

Dean

Dean - Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am - Voted 10/10

Tough to read

My heart goes out to you and David and her family. Your sharing this story will make all of us remember that sometimes the mountains can be unforgiving to those of us who love them.

Guyzo

Guyzo - Nov 23, 2009 12:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Sad

Thank you for posting this story.

It helps all of us.

Ishun, Rest.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Condolences

My condolences to Ishun’s family and friends. Thank you Patrick for sharing.

Gene - Nov 23, 2009 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Godspeed

You and all involved are in my prayers. Thank you for this report.

gm

Diggler

Diggler - Nov 23, 2009 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Tragic

Patrick,

thank you for posting this. It must have been extremely difficult, but relating experiences like this can sometimes help. I hope that this was the case for you. When I attempted the S face years ago, I found it considerably more difficult than "5.6" as well.

While I think that one tends to have a lot of self-scrutiny following an event like this, I would say that, based on your account, your perceived mistakes are no different than 99.9% of the rest of us would have done. While one's attitude and overall feeling (& those of a partner, in this case) can certainly affect a climb's outcome, nothing is ever 100% like one would like to have it on a climb- that's just how it is. Also, as a leader, one automatically accepts the consequences for what may happen 'on the sharp end.' As a belayer, you can offer your advice & support, but it is not you in the position to make the leader's decisions. I would say that your doubts were neither the cause of, nor would have changed, the outcome, based on what I perceive.

Given the circumstances, it seems to me that both you & David did an admirable job of getting all of you off the mountain & initiating a rescue. I'm very sorry that your amazing efforts were in vain.

I offer my deepest condolences on your, & all of Ishun's friends' & loved ones' loss. I hope that your healing is able to happen as fast as possible. Remember the special times you managed to share with Ishun, & appreciate them. Take good care.

kteichert

kteichert - Nov 23, 2009 9:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Admirable

Thank you for sharing this sacred story. There are many emotions, from many people that are involved in this situation, and you have beautifully, and meaningfully described the incident. May we all remember who we are, and what our purpose is. You are a great friend.

Dave Daly

Dave Daly - Nov 24, 2009 12:37 am - Voted 10/10

Rest Peacefully Ishun

Having lost a close friend earlier this year (Brutus Of Wyde, here on SP), I understand what you're going through and the private moment you shared with Ishun when you later visited the South Face. Our minds are uncapable of fathoming the fate of others and I'm sure your heart was flooded with so many emotions that its still hard to comprehend. Know this, she is here among us and whispers to us all through the aspen leaves. She touches us in the form of warm Sierra granite, reassuring us that she is at peace and has moved into a place that spiritually connects her to the place she loved so. I'm also certain she is grateful to have had dear friends such as yourselves and had shared in the experience so few on this planet have had the chance. So, next time you go out, look at the place in front of you, around you, in you........she'll be there!

Cheers,
Dave

Moni

Moni - Nov 24, 2009 9:35 am - Hasn't voted

So sorry..

..about the loss of your friend and climbing partner. What a horrible ordeal to have to go through. It certainly seems like she was killed through a freak accident of getting hung up and not as a consequence of anyone's mistake. It could have happened on any level of climb to anyone. I have often wondered about all the stuff I hang around my neck on a climb. It is impressive how you and David were able to get off safely and to get help. May you both heal mentally and spiritually from this terrible experience. My heartfelt condolences to you and David as well as to Ishun's family.

myles

myles - Nov 24, 2009 10:49 am - Voted 10/10

Very sad

Thank you for recounting a painful experience. You and David handled a terrible situation very well, and Ishun was fortunate to have you as partners. All the best to you, David and Ishun's loved ones.

suddendescent

suddendescent - Nov 24, 2009 2:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Being cautious as opposed to being reckless...

No matter how many precautions are to be taken , fate takes its toll...

Learning can be a very lengthy and tedious process...

Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Return to 'Account of Obelisk Accident' main page