Adirondack 46ers Climbed Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 47
JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Jun 23, 2021 7:53 pm Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2020

A wild journey   Sucess!

The 46ers are the hardest mountains on the East coast, hands down. This was a wild journey that I will never forget.

Onager

Onager - Nov 4, 2013 1:13 pm Date Climbed: Nov 3, 2013

Mount Skylight  Sucess!

Summited Mount Skylight 4926' during a Saturday through Monday backpacking trip. We backpacked in the rain Saturday night to one of the Avalanche Lean-Tos from the ADK Loj, spent the night, woke up late on Sunday morning and hit the trail to Feldspar via Lake Arnold. There is one section on the way to Feldspar that is currently flooded and requires balancing on the many floating logs on the trail. We then took the trail to Lake Tear of the Clouds summited Gray Peak, and then headed to Four Corners junction. We began our ascent up Skylight, which required crampons due to many iced over sections of rock. Above treeline the winds picked up and my jacket actually began to freeze solid. We spent no more time that necessary to snap a few pictures, marking the end of our 46er conquest. A year and a half of hard labor and we were done!

Onager

Onager - Nov 4, 2013 1:10 pm Date Climbed: Nov 3, 2013

Gray Peak  Sucess!

Summited Gray Peak 4840' during a Saturday through Monday backpacking trip. We backpacked in the rain Saturday night to one of the Avalanche Lean-Tos from the ADK Loj, spent the night, woke up late on Sunday morning and hit the trail to Feldspar via Lake Arnold. There is one section on the way to Feldspar that is currently flooded and requires balancing on the many floating logs on the trail. We then took the trail to Lake Tear of the Clouds and followed the herd path up to the summit of Gray Peak. Wasn't a particularly difficult hike up, but was steep in certain sections. Good view of Marcy on the summit! We then continued onto Mount Skylight, our last 46er!

Onager

Onager - Oct 28, 2013 10:52 am Date Climbed: Oct 26, 2013

Allen Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Allen Mountain 4340 on a snowy, cold Saturday. We slept in the car Friday night at the East River trailhead and started on the trail at 6:30 AM. We crossed the Hudson in the dark of the morning and managed it easily. We did not know of the re-route around Lake Jimmy... so we actually went across the "floating" bridge.. not fun and I don't recommend it. After a few more hours of bland old logging roads we made it to the Opalescent and waded through the frigid water with water shoes. The rest of the hike followed a rather uninteresting herd path and logging road. The trail after signing the second trail register was pretty muddy, but easy to follow if you pay attention. Crampons/microspikes are a must this time of year. We got over 8 inches on snow throughout the 12 hour 18 mile hike. The ascent wasn't particularly difficult, some steep icey sections, but nothing we haven't seen before.. just go slow, an injury 9 miles in is pretty serious since you have to self rescue. Each of us fell and slid multiple times, and I had one bad fall that could have ended much worse for me. Would love this one in good summer or early fall weather, but its pretty difficult at this time.

Onager

Onager - Oct 14, 2013 4:49 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2013

Saddleback Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Mount Haystack 4960' on a clear, beautiful Sunday the day before Colombus day. Our group of 3 parked at the Marcy Field lot, took the bus to the Garden trailhead, and hiked in a bit past Johns Brook Lodge to set up camp. We summited Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback on Sunday, and hiked out from the JBL area on Monday morning in the rain. Had a great breakfast at Noonmark Diner!

From the Saddleback/Basin col, the trail got gradually steeper until you hit the cliffs on the West face of Saddleback. A class 2 scramble with sections of class 3. Really enjoyed this section, but would have been rough in wet or icey weather. The summit is bare above the cliffs, but the rest of the mountain is wooded. A great climb nonetheless.

Onager

Onager - Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2013

Basin Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Basin Mountain 4827' on a clear, beautiful Sunday the day before Colombus day. Our group of 3 parked at the Marcy Field lot, took the bus to the Garden trailhead, and hiked in a bit past Johns Brook Lodge to set up camp. We summited Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback on Sunday, and hiked out from the JBL area on Monday morning in the rain. Had a great breakfast at Noonmark Diner!

The hike up from the col between Haystack and Basin is quite steep in parts, but otherwise wasn't too demanding. The reason it felt so hard was due to us summiting Haystack and getting very tired in the process. The summit of Basin is awesome, but we experienced some good bursts of wind, so we didn't linger too long since we still had to get down to the col between Basin and Saddlback, then climb up and over Saddleback to Ore Bed.

Onager

Onager - Oct 14, 2013 4:41 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2013

Mount Haystack  Sucess!

Summited Mount Haystack 4960' on a clear, beautiful Sunday the day before Colombus day. Our group of 3 parked at the Marcy Field lot, took the bus to the Garden trailhead, and hiked in a bit past Johns Brook Lodge to set up camp. We summited Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback on Sunday, and hiked out from the JBL area on Monday morning in the rain. Had a great breakfast at Noonmark Diner!

The trail from Slant Rock to the Range trail is pretty steep, and requires a bit of descent before starting the ascent up to Haystack. The ridge on Haystack is fantastic and offers, in my opinion, the best views of any Adirondack High Peak, hands down.

Onager

Onager - Sep 28, 2013 9:12 pm Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2013

Mount Marshall  Sucess!

Summited Mount Marshall 4360' on a clear, sunny Saturday. We hiked in from the Loj the night before and stayed at the Avalanche Lean-To. The next morning we hit the trail past Avalanche Lake and around Lake Colden until we got the to Herbert Brook herd path. The trail was pretty gradual but had some steeper sections near the summit. Was overall a great trip!

Onager

Onager - Sep 15, 2013 3:40 pm Date Climbed: Sep 14, 2013

Mount Redfield  Sucess!

Summited Mount Redfield 4606' during a 3 day backpacking trip. We came in late in the day from the Upper Works Trailhead and stayed Friday night at one of the Calamity Lean-Tos. In them morning we followed the trail from Lake Colden to Uphill Lean-to and climbed Redfield first, and Cliff second. Stayed the night again and came back the way we started on Sunday Morning. While officially trailess, I would find it difficult to get lost since the herd paths are well defined for both mountains.

Onager

Onager - Sep 15, 2013 3:39 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2013

Cliff Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Cliff Mountain 3960' during a 3 day backpacking trip. We came in late in the day from the Upper Works Trailhead and stayed Friday night at one of the Calamity Lean-Tos. In them morning we followed the trail from Lake Colden to Uphill Lean-to and climbed Redfield first, and Cliff second. Stayed the night again and came back the way we started on Sunday Morning. While officially trailess, I would find it difficult to get lost since the herd paths are well defined for both mountains.

Onager

Onager - Sep 8, 2013 8:32 pm Date Climbed: Sep 8, 2013

Iroquois Peak  Sucess!

Summited Iroquois Peak 4840' on a sunny & chilly day towards the end of the summer season. We started at the Loj at 8:30AM and went up and over Algonquin Peak, over Boundary Peak, and finally got to the summit of Iroquois around 12:00PM. We backtracked up Algonquin again, summited Wright, and then finally called it a day reaching the car around 6:00PM.

Onager

Onager - Aug 11, 2013 12:35 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2013

Santanoni Peak  Sucess!

Summited Santanoni Peak 4607' during a weekend backpacking trip. Our group stayed at the Santanoni Lean-To after the hike in hiking a few miles on Friday, we summited all 3 peaks of the Santanoni Range on Saturday under excellent weather, stayed the night again and turned in on Sunday morning. The heard paths are in good shape, but they are muddy as can be and can be difficult to navigate.

Onager

Onager - Aug 11, 2013 12:35 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2013

Panther Peak  Sucess!

Summited Panther Peak 4442' during a weekend backpacking trip. Our group stayed at the Santanoni Lean-To after the hike in hiking a few miles on Friday, we summited all 3 peaks of the Santanoni Range on Saturday under excellent weather, stayed the night again and turned in on Sunday morning. The heard paths are in good shape, but they are muddy as can be and can be difficult to navigate.

Onager

Onager - Aug 11, 2013 12:34 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2013

Couchsachraga Peak  Sucess!

Summited Couchsachraga Peak 3820' during a weekend backpacking trip. Our group stayed at the Santanoni Lean-To after the hike in hiking a few miles on Friday, we summited all 3 peaks of the Santanoni Range on Saturday under excellent weather, stayed the night again and turned in on Sunday morning. The heard paths are in good shape, but they are muddy as can be and can be difficult to navigate.

Onager

Onager - Jun 30, 2013 2:01 pm Date Climbed: Jun 29, 2013

Mount Emmons  Sucess!

Summited Mount Emmons 4040' on a wet, stormy day. Our group of 5 started at the Seward Range Trailhead and followed the trail towards Calkins Brook. We took a left at the cairn near the brook, crossed the brook, and followed the heard path to the col between Seward and Donaldson. From here we summited Donaldson Mountain, and then continued down to the col between Donaldson and Emmons. The trail was very muddy but we reached the summit without much effort. We were caught in a downpour on the way back up to Donaldson. It was a very unconfortable hike out back to the car.

Onager

Onager - Jun 30, 2013 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Jun 29, 2013

Donaldson Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Donaldson Mountain 4140' on a wet, stormy day. Our group of 5 started at the Seward Range Trailhead and followed the trail towards Calkins Brook. We took a left at the cairn near the brook, crossed the brook, and followed the heard path to the col between Seward and Donaldson. From here it was an easy but muddy walk to the summit. We then continued on towards Mount Emmons.

Onager

Onager - Jun 22, 2013 11:50 pm Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2013

Seward Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Seward Mountain 4361' during an overnight at the Blueberry Lean-To. We backpacked in and stayed the night at the lean-to after our earlier summit of Seymour Mountain. We woke up around 6am and headed onto the trail towards Seward around 7:30am. After turning right at the cairn, the unmarked trail rose gradually, until becoming a monster. The trail became very difficult with mud caked up on the rock slides. This made for a slow going. Also there was seriouis scrambling in certain sections and my full attention was on my footing. We reached the summit around 10:30am, and decided not to push towards Emmons & Donaldson due to inclemental weather. A strenuous climb and an even more difficult descent back down.

Onager

Onager - Jun 22, 2013 11:46 pm Date Climbed: Jun 21, 2013

Seymour Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Seymour Mountain 4120' during an overnight at the Blueberry Lean-To. We backpacked in, set up camp at the lean-to, then procedeed towards the cairn after passing the Ward Brook Lean-To. The climb was moderate with a lot of mud, making for some slow going at first, but we picked up our pace after getting past the slides. The ridge was nice and the weather perfect, which made for a nice day climb. We headed back down and stayed the night at the lean-to.

Onager

Onager - Jun 16, 2013 12:27 pm Date Climbed: Jun 6, 2013

Tabletop Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Tabletop Mountain 4427' around 12:30AM during a 15 mile night hike from the overflow parking at Adk Loj at South Meadow Ln. We intended to spend our Saturday relaxing at Marcy Dam, our campsite, but after eating our freeze-dried dinner we changed our mind. A weather window opened up and we left Marcy Dam, torches on, at 7:30PM. Followed the Van Hovenberg trail to the Tabletop junction, trekking through a lot of mud, and made it to the summit around 12:30AM. The summit is extremely uneventful so we left soon after we arrived. The descent was long and muddy; very difficult on the knees. We made it back to Marcy Dam, striked our camp, and made it back to S. Meadow Lane by 2:30PM.

Onager

Onager - May 14, 2013 3:03 pm Date Climbed: May 15, 2013

Armstrong Mtn.  Sucess!

Summited Armstrong Mountain 4400' via the Lake Road to Beaver Meadow Falls trail. We followed this trail up to the col between Gothics & Armstrong. After summiting Gothics we came back down to the col and headed for Armstrong. There was some moderate scrambling on the way and some iced over sections, but overall was very easy going. At the summit we faced 30-40 mph winds and spent little time up there. We could see that it was going to rain and we descended back down quickly. About halfway down the mountain on the Beaver Meadow Falls trail, thunder, lightning, and hail came down and we hauled it to the Lake Road, where it finally stopped. The rest of the way out was easy.

Viewing: 1-20 of 47
Return to 'Adirondack 46ers Climbed' main page