Allen Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
ADKhiker46

ADKhiker46 - Jun 18, 2004 7:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I just climbed Allen, 6-17-04 and it is now WELL marked the entire way. The 46ers have phenomenalized the trail the entire way, so thank them! lol The yellow trail is marked the entire way, from the gravel roads to the blowdown, which now has a perfect dirt path right through it. After the blow-down you'll get to more gravel roads, all marked well. There is a big wooden sign pointing the way to Allen. From the start of the "herd path" (its more like a marked trail) there will be yellow lids nailed to trees to mark the way for a good mile on the path. From there, the herd path is so obvious that markers are not needed. I would honestly use this trail to introduce people to trailless peaks! Compared to Redfield or the path to Macomb, Allen is by far easier to stick with. I didn't one time miss or leave the trail and I dont think anyone could, unless you are just snoozin'. When you get to skylight brook, its about an hour and a half to the summit, on the same herd path that is very easy to stick with. There WILL be many many cuts in trees to show the way as well as flags strewn (all are accurate) on trees to show the way. Good luck and thanks a million to the 46ers who made it so enjoyable!

stokel

stokel - Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Hurricane Blowdown

I hiked Allen in the Fall of 2009. Well marked and the hurricane blowdown had been cleaned up. Expect to wade across the Opalescent as the bridge is gone.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - May 27, 2015 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Route update

The route description is essentially correct. Flagging is gone but easy to follow in the woods and a really nice trail. The best route up the slide requires some navigational skills, although there are some occasional cairns. Highly recommended to bring microspikes or Yaktrax to safely get up and down the slide, summer included. The red slime of Allen is for real. It looks like it is wet most of the time and extremely slippery. Also, bring a pair of water shoes or sneakers to ford the Opalescent.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Allen Mountain' main page