Amatou gorge, east Crete

Amatou gorge, east Crete

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.03393°N / 26.21247°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 66 ft / 20 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A small canyon at the south end of Xerokambos village, in the Amatou bay

Getting There

The access is very easy. Both crags are close to the dirt road leading between Amatou bay and Xerokambos village.

Route

Climbing in Amatou bay takes place in a small canyon leading to the sea. We call the canyon Amatou according to the name of the bay. This small canyon is in fact continuation of the Xerokambos Gorge,  which is the largest canyon in the Xerokambos area, leading from Hametoulo village. Climbing routes are done on two opposite crags, "Cave" on the north-east side and "Lungs" on south-west side. Because of this there is almost always some part of the crag in shade or in sun ( in wintertime).  The sea is about 100 meters far from here, it is very pleasing to combine climbing with swimming in the sea on a warm day. The quality of rock here is very good, the material is not sharp in most pitches. The routes are mostly overhanging.

Red Tape

You can combine climbing and swimming in the sea on hot days.

When to Climb

You can climb all year round. The best season is autumn and spring.

Camping

There is no campsite in Xerokambos village and around. There is a lot of apartments and villas for rent.

External Links

http://www.climbcrete.com/index.php?lokalita=2