Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 22, 2006 11:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great, great job, Bob!!!

Thank you for all you said. As you know, I think one of the measures of a good submission is your stamp of approval. I do have some other glacier shots, and I'll give more detail via e-mail.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 20, 2006 1:14 am - Voted 10/10

too familiar

Thanks for succinctly capturing emotions usually absent from climbing stories.

I've known the utter pain of losing track of people, of screaming my lungs out, hoping they would hear me, of watching time tick by with no response, of the sleepless night for someone who did not show up. It happens so fast-- someone will be 100' behind me in brush, start moving downhill, then be 1000' away while I wait, shouting.

I now have behaviors shaped by a bad experience long ago. I wear absurdly bright clothes, and try hard to be in sight of at least one member of the "expedition"; I just hope that person will act the same way to those behind.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 22, 2006 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

re: too familiar

Thank you for your comments, especially for sharing your thoughts on losing someone in the mountains. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's managed to do that.

Dean

Dean - Jan 24, 2007 7:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Well written

One of the worst feelings you can have is when you turn around and your partner is nowhere to be seen. I have had that experience and you have captured the situation well and how one feels during that time.

andrew david

andrew david - Jun 23, 2013 3:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well written

Have to die of something. Mountains are a good way if there is such a thing.

andrew david

andrew david - Jun 23, 2013 3:03 am - Hasn't voted

Brave Post

Thanks for posting this. I think it takes bravery to admit to mistakes and inner feelings, especially on the Internet where most responses are mean. A useful story, and also entertaining. I appreciate these pics also as I want to cross this area for a cross country multi-day this summer or next.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 17, 2013 9:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Brave Post

Thanks, Andrew! I hope you get out there. It is incredible country in that section of the park.

andrew david

andrew david - Jul 27, 2013 1:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Brave Post

I crossed the whole basin to Almost-a-dog Pass and went up Mount Logan and Almost-a-dog Peaks. I was very surprised by how difficult the crossing was. It broke some of my gear and it almost broke parts of me. I did a lot of falling on scree and snow and in pine trees. I will trip report about it soon, but for now I add to anyone reading this post that the Jackson and Blackfoot Basin is a serious undertaking. It is beautiful, but very rugged.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'An Adventure, a Moral, and the Jackson Glacier' main page