Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 31.06410°N / 49.05350°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 11, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Andy Nelson Peak

Total hike time of 1 hour and 17 minutes. Total mileage was 4.30 miles. This is a great "quick" hike that mixes in some steep elevation with some mostly flat dense forest single track trail. I want to give a few additional details that are not included in the "Bible" called "High In Utah" that may make it a bit easier. When you take the Navajo Lake turnoff at mile 26 from Cedar City stay to the right on Forest Road 053. Follow it around to the hard left turn just past Te-ah campground. The parking area on the side of the road is a bit small and very dusty but it is really your only choice. The trailhead has a small wooden fence with a passage in the middle but no sign letting you know that you are at the right place. You have to proceed up the trail 400 yards before actually seeing the Virgin River Rim Trail sign. 1.33 miles up the trail you reach the Lodge Trail junction with a good sign marking the way. Stay to the right and continue climbing gently for another 1/2 mile to the saddle. Pick a good line and head straight up the hill to your right through the quakies and green grass and the top is at 2.24 miles. There is a small rockpile with a stick poking up in the middle of the clearing marking the summit. Have a fun run back to your truck!!
Virgin River Rim Trail sign


Comments

No comments posted yet.