Viewing: 1-6 of 6
hikerman99

hikerman99 - Dec 20, 2006 1:49 am - Hasn't voted

Description of the hike in

The trail crosses the river 7 times. The trail starts on the right side of the river (looking upstream) at Santa Ana and crosses almost immeadiately. The hike in goes through an open area for a few miles before the canyon closes in. Eventually the trail crosses again, followed by 4 more crosses in a relatively short span of 2 or 3 hours of hiking. After the sixth cross, you will pass by a brilliant section of red rock the appears to be straight out of southern Utah. This marks the beginning of a difficult section where the canyon becomes much steeper and the "trail" becomes filled with loose rocks, slowing progress considerably. Eventually, the canyon opens up again and the trail crosses the river for a seventh and final time to the left side of the river. This begins the long final stretch where the views of the main peaks of the range begin to come into view. The straight-line distance according to GPS from Santa Ana to Pirca Polacos base camp is 15.25 miles, or about 25 km.



Corax

Corax - Dec 21, 2006 12:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Description of the hike in

Thanks for this very detailed description of the hike in. It's very useful because I lack the knowledge about the normal way to walk in. I walked all the time on the left hand side of the river and never crossed it.
I'll add it to the main page.

hikerman99

hikerman99 - Dec 22, 2006 5:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Description of the hike in

Thanks. I will post a trip report of my recent La Ramada climb that will have GPS waypoints. I can't imagine hiking in all the way on one side, particularly with full packs like you did--the hike in was hard enough for us as it was.

Bob

Corax

Corax - Dec 22, 2006 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Description of the hike in

Looking forward to the trip report. It's always interesting to compare experiences.

I have no difficulties to admit the hike in was hard. Some parts were dangerous due to loose gravel and you risked falling into the river from quite high. In other parts it was nothing but rock climbing. Some tricky moves with those heavy backpacks. That's the price you pay when you want to go 100% independent.

I guess you have seen what happened later during that eventful visit in the Ramada area?
Here!

B.t.w. I added your route info also on the Ramada page.

DoJo

DoJo - Feb 24, 2013 9:23 am - Voted 10/10

New Guidebook + Map

Anibal Maturano published the guidebook: "Rutas del Mercedario" that covers (amongst others) the Ramada range and Ansilta range.

There is also a new map of the Ramada range available.
The book and the map are available in bookstores in Mendoza (I bought them in Nov. 2012)

Corax

Corax - Feb 26, 2013 6:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: New Guidebook + Map

Thanks.
I added the info on the main page.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Mercedario Group' main page