Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Dean

Dean - Mar 8, 2006 11:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nicely done

Both of your Wasatch pages are a nice addition to SP.

nebben

nebben - Jul 3, 2006 10:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Outstanding work! That is a LOT of content! =)

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 4, 2006 4:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks Ben, I live near the Northern Wasatch so I know the area well.

weeds19

weeds19 - Mar 1, 2007 7:35 am - Voted 10/10

Wow!

This is a great page with tons of content! I lived in Ogden for two year a few year back, and I only wish I had seen this page back then. Thanks for the effort you put into this quality page!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 1, 2007 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks for the nice comment. I appreciate hearing from someone who has lived there before. A lot of people I hike with tell me that there isn't anything worth climbing in the Northern Wasatch Mountains. Any climber who lives near Ogden knows that isn't true.

Garfimi

Garfimi - Jul 11, 2007 9:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Very well done

Excellent page Mountaingazelle. I live in Davis county and there are many great places to climb. Very well done. It was great to see some of my pictures of Bountiful peak used on your page. Very nice!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 12, 2007 12:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very well done

Thank you! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes the Northern Wasatch Mountains. I thought your photos of Bountiful Peak were more interesting than mine. The mountain just looks better when it is covered in snow.

Garfimi

Garfimi - Jul 12, 2007 6:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very well done

Yes, Bountiful Peak does look better covered in snow. Also, the eastern face of Bountiful is much more dramatic and tough compared to the western side. Again, great job on the page.

rayray

rayray - Oct 24, 2007 10:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Your page....

sets the standard! Very informative with a great layout!!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 25, 2007 4:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Your page....

Thank you, for the nice compliment! I usually add information to my pages to improve them later. Some people have added photos so this page has gotten a lot bigger since I first wrote it.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 24, 2008 1:05 am - Voted 10/10

What about the E and W Wasatch?

What? Only three detailed and beautiful pages? You must be slacking off!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 24, 2008 2:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: What about the E and W Wasatch?

HA! Maybe I should have made a Wasatch A though Z page. The reason we decided to have separate Wasatch pages is because the area is so huge. Most books divide the range into northern, central, and southern sections so that is what I did. Many people know a lot about the area they live in but few know about the entire Wasatch Range. The range even extends farther north into an area of mountains called the Bear River Range. Yep, I own that page too :)

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 1, 2008 12:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Melinda ...

For some reason, I got to reading about Thurston Peak.
When you go up the Adams Canyon North Ridge route, there's a cabin
that I can give you a link to. I was just interested in
knowing who built the cabin, and the history behind it.
LINK - and thanks a bunch. - Larry

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 2, 2008 4:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Melinda ...

I don’t know exactly who built the one in Adams Canyon. I think it is an old hunting cabin. I have found other similar structures in the Northern Wasatch. There is part of a mining cabin in Kenney Creek. The Indian Trail has a nice little shelter that I’ve used in a snow storm. Malans Basin probably has the most interesting history in the area. There are actually quite a lot of historic remains in the Wasatch Mountains left from the trapping, logging, mining, and early ski era.

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 2, 2008 11:09 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Melinda ...

I think it has something to do with Thomas J. Thurston.
In 1855, Thurston influenced others to assist him to carve
a passable wagon road through Weber Canyon. He was among the
first to settle in Morgan Valley and is acknowledged for
bringing about its colonization. Of course, all those people
spilling into the valley needed something to eat. That's
where the hunting cabin comes in. I have also seen cabins like
this one in the Oquirrh Mountains. But in most cases, they
can be traced back to the original landowners. That's cool!!
Can I still refer to you as Mrs. Wasatch?? Have a great day!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 2, 2008 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Melinda ...

I’m well aware of the history you mention. The canyon was named after Elias Adams who was a pioneer in the late 1850s. He settled at the mouth of the canyon and established a small whip-saw lumber operation. Elias Adams was one of the first Utahns to realize the value of water storage. He built a dam a few miles east of Layton in 1852 and filled it with water from Adams Canyon. It was reportedly the state’s first reservoir. This was called Adams Reservoir and he would also build other reservoirs in the area. The cabin was built later and isn’t as old as you think although it has been there a long time. It is in relatively good condition. It is a 3.5 mile hike with 4,000 feet gain up to the cabin.

I don’t think the cabin has anything to do with Thurston but I love the history behind naming the mountain after him. Thomas Jefferson Thurston did indeed lead a way through Weber Canyon and helped settle Morgan County on the other side. This is mentioned in the nice plaque on the summit. The mountain wasn’t officially named until as recently as 1993. Descendants from his family refused to name it after him for several years because they resented that he bequeathed the 60 acres he owned below it to the LDS Church. This obviously “influenced” the decision to name Thurston Peak after him but I still agree with his family for feeling the way that they did.

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 2, 2008 1:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Melinda ...

Can I "influence" you into a warm and hearty congratulations
for all the research and long hours you put into your work
here on Summitpost? You certainly know your Utah history!
I wish I could have stayed in Utah longer, and learned more
of what was going on back in the pioneer days. THANK YOU!!!
- Larry of AZ

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Sep 21, 2008 4:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you so much, Mountain Gazelle

You have added so much info and good pictures to Summit.I enjoy the pictures and information very much. I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing in the Wasatch and Uintahs in the 70's toe heelin with a grin would have been nice to have all this info then. Keep up the good work See ya The Ice Man

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 6, 2008 3:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you so much, Mountain Gazelle

Thanks for the very nice comment, Jerry. I enjoy posting information for the Wasatch Mountains so I’m glad that you like it. It’s great to be able to live near these beautiful mountain ranges.

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Nov 6, 2010 4:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Info on Great Hiking area!

Outstanding page...best local source for where-to-go! Lived in Utah for 10 years before I figured out all of those mountains actually had TRAILS on them.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Wasatch Range (North)' main page