The Hindukush Comments

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Corax

Corax - Mar 15, 2006 7:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Mines

You may have plans to mention it, but please don't forget the extremely important issue about mines in Afghanistan. There have been a lot of programs to rid the country of mines, but in the country side there are still a lot. Camping is a nervous experience. I ended up sleeping in very strange places there, just to be sure not stepping on mines.

BigLee

BigLee - Mar 15, 2006 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mines

Done... A paragraph straight out of one of my university assignments from last year. I was in Afghanistan a couple of years ago so know where you'e coming re landmines. Actually, the UN report I've attached interestingly states there are no mines in the Wakhan corridor region, although strictly speaking this is more the Pamir. Still not sure I'm ready to climb there yet though. (YET!)

aaporik

aaporik - Jul 22, 2006 2:36 am - Voted 8/10

uptodate information

Recently the government of Pakistan closed all trekking and Mountaineering activities to Hindu Kush and Hindu Raj region by the foreign trekking and mountaineering groups. This new policy ban all climbing activities and trekking close to the boarder with Asghanistan. Please get uptodate information before planing a trip to Hindu Kush and Hindu Raj Region. However normal touring or sightseeing of local village and Kalash area or road to Gilgit via Shandur Pass is open for foreigners.

BigLee

BigLee - Aug 29, 2006 6:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: uptodate information

Hi, I hadn't heard about the ban. I'm in Pakistan at the moment and some friends of mine were trekking in the Hindukush only a few weeks ago. When you say "close to the border'" do you mean in the restricted zones? Is the ban still in place and why was there the change? Cheers.

trad brad

trad brad - Jan 1, 2007 12:42 am - Hasn't voted

great site

great page...check out some of my pictures from afghanistan in 2002 ...awesome country and very beautiful. i trully hope to get back one day when the situation is a little more stable.

BigLee

BigLee - Jan 2, 2007 12:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great site

Thanks. I've added your photos to the page. I'm going to update this page again in the coming weeks. Lee

Maqsood

Maqsood - Mar 28, 2007 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

update information

In 2006 all treks in the Hindukush ran through sucessfully and so will they in 2007 guranteed.The local government fully supports trekking and mountaineering and accomodates all with permits. The locals feel that this news of closing the area was inatiated by operators from other regions as reduced Royalty meant mountaineers and trekkers have other options opened and traffic from their regions diverted.
MAQSOOD

BigLee

BigLee - Apr 2, 2007 6:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: update information

Sorry but all mountaineering expeditions were refused permits at the final hour in 2006 (including some of my friends who were to try a new route on Noshaq). That's a fact. I don't have any interest in printing local hearsay as to why the area was closed. I'll update when after the 2007 season when the outcome regarding permits is known as I don't think anybody can guarantee that there will be no repeat of 2006.

Maqsood

Maqsood - Apr 2, 2007 12:43 pm - Hasn't voted

update information

In 2006 tourism experts in Islamabad had refused permits for both expeditions and trekkers too. But in 2006 the local government in Chitral had allowed both and that is a fact that I thought I should pass on. Maqsood

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'The Hindukush' main page