Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Mar 31, 2006 5:25 pm - Voted 9/10

Nice TR!

I know what it's like to bonk... and it's no fun. I don't know what's worse, the hunger/weakness, or knowing that you've packed hundreds of dollars worth of gear, and you didn't pack an extra sandwich. BTW, the trail is well maintained and marked... just located 10 feet below where you were walking :-)

Global_09

Global_09 - Mar 31, 2006 7:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice TR!

haha...exactly, you spend $1000 on gear but you dont have a 99c sandwitch. Thanks for the info

TLP

TLP - Mar 31, 2006 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Hardcore

Nice trip report.

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 1, 2006 5:38 am - Voted 10/10

Nice trip report!

Provided that you didn't have any nightmares of the trip, you must have been sleeping for days. Sounds like the trip is one of those experiences in which you will remember for the rest of your life. You will be able to smile at this trip for a long time (and count your blessings).

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 1, 2006 8:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice trip report!

The whole thing shook me up, however it was an awsom adventure

nickmech

nickmech - Apr 3, 2006 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

good TR

You are an idiot. A sandwich and a pack of skittles? Eat a huge breakfast at least. Good you made it back.

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 3, 2006 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good TR

yea I fingued that out prity quickly....the next time I went up I brought 2 sandwiches, a Baby Ruth bar, a pack of skittles, 2 oranges and a power bar......overkill; maybe, but at least I wasnt hungry.

gobriango

gobriango - Apr 3, 2006 7:41 pm - Hasn't voted

good TR

Hopefully you learned ....if you do it again your just stupid.

* By the way the 5 pds you lost were 4 1/2 water and 1/2 pd everything else (fat, muscle).

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 3, 2006 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Ahh, memories...

The first time I went up Gothics in snow, was back in 1971, when I was 16. We just went up and down the pyramid, wearing blue jeans, leather boots, and carrying a ski pole. The snow was very deep. We passed a group of roped-up climbers on the way down. We didn't know any better.

Three years later I returned with a group that included a two-time climber of Denali. At first he pooh-poohed the climb; since we started in clouds, he couldn't see what he was getting into. But when the clouds cleared and he was on the deep snow above the big slide, he was duly impressed. At least that time there was one ice axe in the group, and I had my old drop-forged 10-point crampons.

I haven't been back to that area since 1980, but I will always remember my first snow climb of Gothics as a real accomplishment.

Since then, I've been with experienced climbers who have forgotten all sorts of things -- sleeping bags, boots, ice axes, down jackets, wet-weather gear; it happens. I regularly go with people who take very little food, even for mondo excursions, and they generally refuse my food, because it is all clif bars and various other bits of compacted sawdust.


To be quantitative, for that excursion with all the heavy gear, you will probably need about 4000 kcalories for the day. Sugary candy like skittles has about 100kcal/oz, and an Altoid tin doesn't hold more than a few ounces. You will be lucky to get more than 700 kcal from a big sandwich, with lots of mayo.

If you can stand the thought, full-fat chocolate bars have more kcal/oz, and some people just bring summer sausages -- 250 kcal/oz, and pretty compact.


I'm sure you know that it is hard to make yourself drink in winter -- but dehydration is often the real source of exhaustion. Water is 1 lb/pint, and I can sweat off 2 lbs in 40 minutes at the gym. I don't go much for sports drinks; I make more calorific stuff with unsweetened koolaid and crystalline fructose. That way I know I'll get some calories, even if I'm too nauseous to eat.

gaus - Apr 4, 2006 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Crazy, crazy

Mate next time take with you low-glycemic index foods (with a value of 50 and below), such as dried fruit, certain fruits (apples, oranges, plums, grapes, unriped bananas...), wholemeal bread with peanut butter is an excellent take away climbing meal as it is also a high kilojulic meal, etc. (click here: http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html) to allow your energy levels last longer (by stabilising your blood sugar levels).

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index/skittles-gi-value.htm


http://www.balance.com/nutrition/gi.asp

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Diet/Glycemic_Index.htm

Mate, the general rule is that one always should eat before getting hungry and drink before getting thirsty. This rule will keep you off trouble.

Cheers,


G.

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 4, 2006 9:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crazy, crazy

Thanks for the helpfull info...will make shure to bring some PB sandwiches and fruit on my next trip out.

Bear Claw

Bear Claw - Apr 5, 2006 4:45 pm - Voted 9/10

Nice Job

Experience keeps us from making mistakes - mistakes provide us with experience

dunking_deutschman

dunking_deutschman - Apr 5, 2006 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

great adventure

Yes, isn't it funny how you lose all your energy once the technical decent is done and you have a nice, (relatively) flat hike back? I bonked my first time up Long's Peak in Colorado and made about 1 mph down the 6 mile trail back, seeing imaginary dogs and bears and stuff up the trail. I have found that taking a couple Excedrin upon summiting a peak really helps. The aspirin chills your achy joints and the caffeine in the Excedrin gives a surprisingly amplified boost of energy on decent. Isn't it amazing how much strength and endurance we really have when we are tested? You think you can't go 10 more steps, yet you keep going, and going--- miles and miles more than you thought you could. It always amazes me how much strength we really have in reserve.

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 5, 2006 9:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great adventure

Exactly...I love the feeling when you suprise yourself...thanks for the advice...happy climbing

kamil

kamil - Apr 5, 2006 9:12 pm - Voted 10/10

lessons learned...

good, honest story :)
cheers,
kamil

bajaandy

bajaandy - Apr 5, 2006 9:30 pm - Hasn't voted

How many of us...

have had luck on our side when we were too stupid to be prepared in the first place. I can't believe how long it took me to figure out that fuel was what was keeping me from being sucessful on so many mountains. Once I figured that out, I started keeping a power bar or jel in my pack. Fuel can make all the difference in the world.

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 6, 2006 6:41 am - Hasn't voted

To All

Thanks for your comments and advice...climbing is truely an adventure through thick and thin, but what makes it awsom is the unknown.

CDBURNS - Apr 7, 2006 11:33 am - Hasn't voted

Gear & food ideas

Why did you bring protection if you were climbing solo and un-roped? For the weight you could have brought snowshoes for the hike down on the trail. A bivy sack or a light sleeping bag would be nice additional items in a pinch.

What was the most difficult grade of ice on the climb? Did it necessitate 2 ice tools? You could have climbed with a shorter technical mountaineering axe (like the Grivel Air Tech Evo 60cm) and a 50cm ice tool.

As far as food: I found that the main courses from MREs are calorie and nutrient dense, compact, and filling. There are chemical packs that heat MREs with a little bit of water. It's always better to have too much food than too little, as if you had become injured and be-nighted you would have been screwed with 3 Skittles.

I also bring 3 Nalgene bottles, however I fill 2 of them with a 3:1 ratio of carb/protein powder in order to keep blood sugar stable throughout the day. I also stay away from high glicemic index foods like candy, PB&Js, some fruits, etc due to their effect on blood sugar levels. I try to eat 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day rather than a "lunch."

noah

noah - Apr 8, 2006 2:28 am - Hasn't voted

Nice report

Nice report and you made it back and got a story to tell, just one question.. why did you take all that pro (not a huge amount but an amount all the same) and no rope ?

Global_09

Global_09 - Apr 8, 2006 4:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report

Honestly I have no idea...looking back on it, it was a stupid decision, but I just bought all my gear and I wanted to test it out. I used my snow picket when I rested on the slope and had to anchor in, but the rest of the gear was a waste of energy.

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
Return to 'As my crampon tumbled down the mountain....' main page