Viewing: 1-9 of 9
ant morgan

ant morgan - Jan 16, 2006 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Jason - excellent trip report.



I've had similar 'luck' with the NZ weather, having made 3 attempts to climb Cook. The first 2 attempts we didn't get out of the hut. On the 3rd attempt we turned around 150m from the summit, as the final ice cap looked like it would avalanche on top of us.



The south island is an awesome place, but being surrounded by 2 oceans and the Tasman sea, it's not renown for stable weather.



Are you going to have another go at it?

ktnbs

ktnbs - Jan 17, 2006 2:18 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Excellent read Jason! and nice photos too boot!



I left the South Island for Sydney on Dec. 16th after finally getting to the summit of Aspiring on my third trip there.



Let's see Xmas Eve....I was on a deserted beach north of Sydney...it was around 92 degrees....the water was perfect...and a I had an alluring blonde ozzie gal for company....and the next day, Xmas (all two days of it back home..sydney, auckland, los angeles, seattle, alaska)....night I was back in dreary, cold and wet SE Alaska....and not even home, as we overflew my town due to weather and I got home a day late.

mtnclimber101

mtnclimber101 - Jan 17, 2006 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sorry to hear the weather crapped out--or "turned to custard" in proper Kiw lingo--on you.

We did the exact same trip last year in January but had better luck with the weather and were able to spend nearly an hour on the summit in the sunshine.

Keep it on you list, because the traverse from the Middle Peak to the High Peak is one of the truly great ridges in the world.

Seeing your pics makes me want to plan another trip down under.

Nice trip report also,

Cheers!

Scott

Scott - Jan 17, 2006 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Nice trip report!



We had an enitire week of good weather on Cook, but we didn't climb it, since we had our seven month old son along.



It looked like such an awesome mountain, and the Grand Traverse-wow. Someday I'll have to get back.

Haliku

Haliku - Jan 17, 2006 11:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Excellent report! How's the leg?

Cheers!

Jason Halladay

Jason Halladay - Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm impressed a trip report of an "attempt" has been so well received.

ant morgan- New Zealand's south island is a truly amazing place and I'd love to go back again for sure. Next time, though, I'll go after a good winter conditions the glaciers a bit more.

ktnbs- Congrats on your ascent of Mt. Aspiring. That peak is the quintessential mountain! It looks amazing.

mtnclimber101- I hadn't heard the term "turned to custard" but it certainly is fitting. Congrats on your successful ascent! The ridge on the traverse does look absolutely thrilling!

Scott- A week of good weather on Cook and no summit!?! =) I think navigating the glaciers with your seven-month-old would be a difficult task!

Haliku- Thanks for the comment! The leg is doing great actually. It never caused me any pain or issues and has been healing very well. I must have missed anything crucial in there!

Rileywyna

Rileywyna - Jan 19, 2006 10:19 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

great read bro..Thanks..

I have been considering adding Cook to an around the world trip in 2007. I wonder if there are other objectives that I would have a better chance of summiting that might be just as nice..

Jason Halladay

Jason Halladay - Jan 20, 2006 11:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Thanks for the comment, Rileywyna. Definitely spend some time in New Zealand during your trip in 2007, it's an awesome country. Nearby Mt. Sefton or further north to Mt. Aspiring look to be awesome climbs as well. So much to do and see in the Southern Alps!

peerzat

peerzat - Apr 14, 2006 11:48 pm - Voted 10/10

peerzat

great report. no judgements throughout...how 'bout that! sounds like you guys had a great time. another inspirational read. way to keep it intense and fun...always a tough balance. And, how about those huts! those Kiwis are so smart...

thanks

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Attempt on Mount Cook's Grand Traverse' main page