Bald Mountain Comments

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
TyeDyeTwins

TyeDyeTwins - Feb 1, 2010 8:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Sharp Mountain?

Good stuff, lots of info and great pictures. I read your comment on the claim notice at the summit. Is this peak still accessible? Or is it yet another RIP Peak of the Oquirrhs. Happy Trails out there.

vanman798

vanman798 - Feb 4, 2010 1:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sharp Mountain?

I think it is still accessible. We skied it last winter and it seemed open to the public. I think that claim is just a mining thing.

Have fun!

ridgeguy

ridgeguy - May 8, 2010 10:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Bald Mountain

This page shouldn't be called Sharp Mountain. USGS maps show it as Bald Mountain. Sharp is the bump north of East Bald. Even the Google Map used on the page shows it as East Bald Mountain. And, most important, the benchmark on the summit says Bald.

vanman798

vanman798 - May 11, 2010 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bald Mountain

Interesting. I got the name of it from Tyson Bradley's Back Country Skiing Utah book. See http://books.google.com/books?id=6rS0fvtaTOEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=tyson+bradley&cd=1#v=onepage&q=sharp%20mountain&f=false and go to page 156.

vanman798

vanman798 - May 11, 2010 5:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bald Mountain

Makes me wonder if this was recently renamed (since obviously I wouldn't have posted a google map on the Sharp Mountain page with the peak labeled as Bald Mountain East)? I agree on the topo maps it is now labeled "Bald Mountain East". Yep, Sharp Mountain seems to be the 9960 subpeak which I refered to as the North Peak of the Twin peaked Sharp mountain.

vanman798

vanman798 - May 11, 2010 6:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bald Mountain

I'm convinced this was renamed on the maps, as above my note on the Maps section of the page I said "Go west up Serviceberry Canyon (left of its label on the map) to reach Sharp Mountain." That is no longer labeled on the map.

Thanks for pointing this out.

ridgeguy

ridgeguy - May 16, 2010 1:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bald Mountain

Looks great, thanks for changing it. Just wish it wasn't another "Bald Mountain"....I liked the name Sharp better.

vanman798

vanman798 - May 17, 2010 3:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bald Mountain

I agree, Sharp is/was a better name, but thanks for pointing this out.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Mar 9, 2020 9:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Several updates on the road situation as of March 9th, 2020.

The yellow rusted-out bulldozer still sits at the bottom of the Serviceberry Canyon road. However, concrete barriers and fencing restrict access to anyone wishing to park off of the road. There is now a large sign right there which designates public access as approved but for hiking and horseback riding only. We saw a similar sign at two more locations on the road as we ascended.

vanman798

vanman798 - Mar 9, 2020 9:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Several updates on the road situation as of March 9th, 2020.

Good to know. Thanks

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Bald Mountain' main page