Bannock Range Comments

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
johnm

johnm - Jun 22, 2007 12:16 am - Voted 10/10

Impressive

These are the type of pages that give summitpost a good name.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 22, 2007 12:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive

Thank you! It is a nice place. Not very many people outside of Idaho visit this mountain range. I have hiked and climbed all over these mountains so I know the area well.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Jun 26, 2007 6:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Job!

You do a really great job on all of your pages. I was wondering when we'd get a page for this range. I was planning on doing it but you beat me to it and I think you did a better job on it than I could do. Way to go! I'll keep giving you photos. Keep up the good work!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 27, 2007 1:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Job!

Thanks! This is a great mountain range. I noticed that few people know about the range so I decided to add a page for it. My favorite mountains are Elkhorn Peak, Gunsight Peak, Old Tom Mountain, and Oxford Peak. I recommend climbing all of them. You also have the advantage of living close to the southern end of the range.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Sep 13, 2011 10:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Job!

Two of your superb pages on the front page at the same time! Congrats again!

Dean

Dean - Jun 27, 2007 6:43 am - Voted 10/10

Outstanding work

as usual. Old Tom, Oxford, Elkhorn, they are all on my list of must do peaks. I'll be living in Utah come September and I'm hopeful to get these done in September. Hunting is probably a concern at this time of year I'd guess. Also, the highpoint of the Samaria Mtn range, is it accessible? Is Sedgewick not in the Bannock range? Again, outstanding work, I love your range pages.

Update as of July 2009: I finally got to do a couple more (Samaria HP and Elkhorn) and really enjoyed the area. I still have Old Tom to doso I look forward to heading north again as soon as I can. There are just so many quality mountains in Utah and Idaho. Samaria HP (Wood BM) was a pleasant surprise, outstanding views from up there although an easy easy hike.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 27, 2007 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding work

Thanks Dean! I like all of those mountains. There will be hunters in the area in September. It is a nice time to climb though so just be careful.

The Samaria Mountains are very accessible from I-15 southwest of Malad. I think the forest service has a map of the Malad area that shows all of the dirt roads including the ones in the Samaria Mountains. You can get close to Samaria Mountain with a high clearance vehicle.

Sedgwick Peak is located in the Portneuf Range. I have family that lives below the mountain. I've climbed Sedgwick and Baldy and most of the mountains in the range.

brendon

brendon - Oct 16, 2007 11:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Great work

Sad, I grew up in a town just west of Pocatello, but I don't even consider the basin and range of southern Idaho as a destination much anymore. I've been sidetracked with all this stuff further north since I came up the valley years ago.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 17, 2007 1:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great work

Thanks Brendon! I’m from Southern Idaho so I am quite fond of this area. It is easy to become sidetracked with other mountain ranges in the state. These mountains are not as high as they are up north but many of them are worth climbing.

skunk ape

skunk ape - Nov 25, 2008 12:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Bannock

Great Work and very well put together! I'll bet the Poky folk love you for this.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 25, 2008 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bannock

Thanks! I usually don't see that many people hiking in this area. Some of the Poky folks may not know about all of the mountains and trails that they live near.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Nov 25, 2008 3:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Hats off to the Queen

All hail the queen of page making on summitpost, we should just let you have them all (of course pay you millions to do it). I will have to make it down there next summer (after Colo), I wanted to check out the Jarbridge Mountains as well.

You rock Melinda!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 26, 2008 2:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hats off to the Queen

Ha Ha! Thanks Steve!!! You should definitely check out this area if you are driving to Pocatello. There are several ranges south of there that have cool mountains.

merrill

merrill - Sep 14, 2011 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

excellent

I can't believe I haven't seen this page before or thought to look. Great detail. I've skied and biked many of these lower areas, I'll have to get to the top of these others now.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Sep 15, 2011 3:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent

Thanks for the nice comment, merrill. I thought I should post some info for people living in this area or for anyone who wants to visit. I've hiked most of the high points and want to explore other places here.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Bannock Range' main page