Bassam Park Peaks, Chaffee County

Bassam Park Peaks, Chaffee County

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.76238°N / 105.96176°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 29, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

A Chaffee County Weekend - Bassam Park and beer!

We spent a weekend down in Chaffee County hitting some fine little peaks, all with reasonable access and short hikes with reasonable effort, especially considering it is winter.

The four peaks in this park are:

10,123'

9,980'

9,965'

and Bassam Ridge, 10,020' (interpolation).

We did 10,123 first. Took 185D heading west, then north on 185E. Eventually, this goes through a National Forest gate, where we parked on the north side. 550' gain, 2 miles RT.

Then we skipped south to 9980. Parked at another seasonal gate closure (locked from 12.1-4.15 yearly). Went up the NE ridge. Nice rock pile to the north, wish it was the summit! 425' gain, 2.1 miles RT.

Heading south, we did our favorite peak of the day, 9965. Parked almost due east of the summit, headed up the southern slopes. Nice summit, great views. 425' gain, 1.4 miles RT.

Afterwards, we went to Buena Vista to the Eddyline Brewpub. Great place, a little weird to find the first time on South Main street, a new development. We spent the night at Cottonwood Hot Springs.

Sunday, I got up and hiked Antero BM and Kaufman Ridge North, which was a fine hike. I parked at the seasonal gate closure south of Trout Creek Pass, and headed west on the N.F. side of the fence. Hit Kaufman first, then north to Antero. 1400' gain, 5.4 miles RT.

After that, I went back, collected my better half, and we hit Eddyline again for lunch and beer! I like their Porter and Amber the best. Afterwards, we drove back to Bassam Park to sneak in another peak and close out the Park.

Bassam Ridge was a nice walk from the south, almost completely dry. Warm enough and dry enough I could have hiked it in sandals! Crazy. Bassam was a mere 310' gain, and 1.1 miles RT. Nice little register with a surprising amount of local traffic.

Links for peaks

Castle Rock Gulch Quad on LoJ.

Comments

No comments posted yet.