Benicadell

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.83248°N / 0.4087°W
Additional Information County: Spain
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3622 ft / 1104 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Benicadell is a calcareous mountain located between the districts of "Valle de Albaida" (Valencia) and "El Comtat (Alicante). It serves like a natural frontier between the Alicante and Valencia provinces. The summit is 1104m / 3622 ft above sea level and its orientation is SW-NE (practically W-E)


Getting There

Depending on the itinerary you choose;

PR-V-184

From Alicante: Take the A-7 highway to Alcoy, N-340 to Muro de Alcoy and then, to Puerto de Albaida.
From Valencia: Take the A-7 highway to near Cerdà, CV-40 to near Albaida and go to Puerto de Albaida by the N-340.


PR-V-213

From Alicante: Take the A-7 highway to Alcoy, N-340 to Muro de Alcoy, CV-705 to Castelló de Rugat, CV-615 to Beniatjar.
From Valencia: Take the A-7 highway to near Cerdà, CV-40 to L'Olleria, CV-60 to Castelló de Rugat and finally CV-615 to Beniatjar.


BENICADELL RIDGE

From Alicante: Take the A-7 highway to Alcoy, N-340 to Muro de Alcoy, CV-705 to Beniarrés.
From Valencia: Take the A-7 highway to near Cerdà, CV-40 to L'Olleria, CV-60 to Castelló de Rugat, CV-705 to Beniarrés.


Traditions

In the Benicadell mountain, we can find ruins of 17 snow wells (pozos de nieve o cavas), in different states of conservation. This construction was used to store the valued snow in the cold months, to be sold in summer for the ice creams industries, to preserve fishing,...

The Benicadell snow wellSnow well

Benicadell snow wellInside the snow well





Climbing routes

In the nearby village of Salem, there is a fantastic climbing area with more than 100 routes of several grades of difficuly.

The routes are divided like that:
- From IV to V+ : 37 routes
- From 6a to 6c+ : 69 routes
- From 7a to 7c+ : 29 routes
- From 8a to 8c+ : 2 routes

More information is available in this website


Red Tape

The Benicadell was declared as protected landscape in 2005 and 2006, so obviously has a special protection. For more information you can call to any town hall related (Beniarrés, Beniatjar, Gaianes,...)

Free camping is forbbiden allaround of Comunidad Valenciana.


Weather

The weather we can find in this area is typically mediterranean, with lots of sun and a few cold/rainy days in the year. Sometimes we can find snow, but it's very rare (photo)

If you need a prediction to 5 days, you can see this website

Snow in the Benicadell. 2006.01.29



External Links

Protected landscape (Solana del Benicadell)
Protected landscape (Solana del Benicadell)
Mendikat


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm - Voted 10/10

links

igual te interesa poner este enlace: http://www.mendikat.net/monte.php?numero=550es es la reseña del amigo Javi Calvo, que incluye un artículo abajo interesante con información curiosa que te puede servir para tu web también el enlace de arriba de ver el mapa de 1:50.000 permite conectar con el mapa del IGN de la zona que es un link interesante pal que no tenga mapa: http://www.ign.es/imgmtn50/A1/507952004cns.pdf gracias por descubrirnos esta preciosa cresta

_epueo_

_epueo_ - Sep 3, 2009 3:17 am - Hasn't voted

Gracias

Gracias Rafa! ya he puesto el de Mendikat, pero el otro, viendo el mapa, no sale el Benicadell, sería justo el de abajo de éste. Realmente es bonita la cresta, no es la Salenques y probablemente tampoco es la Diablo, Costillerou,... que seguro que conoces bien, pero bueno, para estar por Alicante no está mal. Saludos.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.