Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38610°N / 105.1245°W
Additional Information County: Douglas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8045 ft / 2452 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gambel OakSpring Gambel Oak leaves

Bennett Mountain is a very cool little peak with a neat summit ridge that provides wide-open views for relatively little effort. The best views are from the outcrop to the south, which you’ll share with skittish little lizards. Views include downtown Denver and the Tech Center, fellow Rampart Range peaks like Devils Head and nearby rocky peaks like Thunder Butte. You’ll also see the Lost Creek Wilderness and the bulky Twelvers and Thirteeners just west of Fairplay and Jefferson.

This peak is easily accessible, very close to south Denver and north Colorado Springs, and sits at the junction of “the woods” and “civilization,” in the Rampart Range. This is a great place to spend half a day when time, energy or weather conditions do not allow for a more committing adventure.

Colorado Rank: 3,628th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 545 feet
USGS Quad: Kassler
Trails Illustrated Map: #135 Deckers, Rampart Range

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

Bennett Mountain_Getting There



Bennett Mountain is about 15 miles due west of Castle Rock in Douglas County. The primary access road is Colorado 67 / County Road 67. The peak is also bordered by Rt 97 to the west and Rt 40 to the south.

Red Tape

South to Devils HeadSouth to Devils Head
Lizard on the mountainLizard on the mountain



There is very little red tape in this part of the Pike National Forest. Note that there is a fee to use the Archery Range, where there is parking for the Russell Ridge route north from Moonridge. It is unclear whether the fee must be paid for parking alone, or specifically if using the archery range only.







Dogs on Bennett Mountain


In some respects, this is a great peak for dogs: Plenty of shade on the approach, not too rocky of an approach and the lack of an “official” trail to the summit results in thinner crowds. However, the parking area for the Russell Ridge Route begins in an archery range and the area is generally popular with hunters. For everyone’s safety and happiness, I recommend your dog be leashed or under absolutely bullet-proof (no pun intended) voice command in this area (especially when in the archery range and along the old dirt roads).

Dogs on Bennett Mountain(Clockwise from upper left: Lela, Bing, Lady & Stimpy

Camping

Views west from Bennett MountainViews west from Bennett Mountain
West from Bennett MountainWest from Bennett Mountain


The nearest National Forest campgrounds to Bennett Mountain are Indian Creek and Flat Rock.

Visit this National Forest Service page for more information about camping in this area.

Weather & Seasons

Pasqual Flowers mark the arrival of SpringPasqual Flowers mark the arrival of Spring
Closeup of a Pasqual FlowerCloseup of a Pasqual Flower
Sipping NectarTiger Swallowtail sipping nectar
Tiger Swallowtail on mountain mahoganyTiger Swallowtail on mountain mahogany


The summit of Bennett Mountain can be enjoyed relatively easily year-round.

Winter & Spring: The relatively dry Rampart Range area receives modest snow (compared to the Colorado high country), but be aware that road closures may lengthen your walk and affect the availability of parking in the winter and early spring. This area melts out fairly quickly in the late spring.

Summer: Summers here are hot, dusty and crowded and you may wish to visit early or late in the day to avoid heat and crowds.

Autumn: While the cool crisp days and bright blue skies combined with golden aspen are attractive, be aware that this is a popular hunting area and appropriate precautions should be taken to ensure you are not mistaken for table meat.


Zone Forecast for Deckers, CO

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

nhinrich - Aug 15, 2015 3:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Getting There

From Sedalia, enter the Pike National Forest on Highway 67. You will pass, in order, the Indian Creek Campground on your right, the Nationwide Youth Round-up Campground on your left, and a small fire station also on your left. The unmarked turn-off for Bennett Mountain is on the right side of the highway, approximately 1/4 of a mile past the fire station. Once you make the turn, follow the signs for the archery range. After approximately half a mile, there will be a fork in the road, with signs for the archery range pointing left, and a gate blocking vehicle travel to the right (this will be the second such gate, the other one being a couple hundred feet downhill of it). This is the trailhead. Park off to the side of the road, and begin hiking along the abandoned portion of the road that forks right. The old road is very clear and easy to follow. Hike along the road for 1.5 miles. At 1.5 miles, the road bends to the left, and a clear walking path can be seen on the right leading up another half a mile to the summit.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Aug 16, 2015 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Getting There

I think you'll find these details outlined well in the Route page attached to this mountain page. Thanks for your input. -Sarah

nhinrich - Aug 16, 2015 11:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Getting There

Sarah, Thank you for pointing that out, I missed that page when I first looked up this hike :)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.