Best Time to Visit Kailash Mansarovar

Best Time to Visit Kailash Mansarovar

Page Type Page Type: Article

Best Time to Visit Kailash Mansarovar

Traveling to Tibet, one must delve into the Ali region to experience the magnificent beauty of the world's rooftop and the hidden lakes within, feeling the profound faith of the Tibetan hinterland. Manasarovar and Mt. Kailash, the sacred lake and mountain in Buddhism, face each other, known as the "mother of rivers and the king of sacred lakes."

In the eyes of believers, the sacred water can cleanse the troubles and sins in one's heart. Every year, a large number of believers from domestic and foreign lands come to the vicinity of Manasarovar, only to bathe and be reborn in the sacred lake. The circuit around the lake is about one hundred kilometers, with a sandy road surface throughout. Although it's bumpy, any vehicle can pass through. If you choose to walk around the lake, it takes about four days.

In Terms of Months, May-October is the Best Time to Visit Kailash Mansarovar.

May-October is the best time for Kailash Mansarovar yatra recommended by many experienced travelers. Why is it best to go from May to October?

First of all, the temperature is suitable, so it will not be too cold to cause danger during the trekking. When the weather is warm, the snowy and icy roads along the way will be greatly reduced, and your hiking will be less difficult.

Secondly, more pilgrims visit Kailash during this time period, so you do not feel lonely during the 50 kilometers trekking, and you get a chance to communicate with them. You can see many devotees prostrating and praying on the road along the way. Their hands and clothes are dirty, while their eyes and soul are pure clean. You will be impressed definitely. That’s why we call a Kailash Kora is a spiritual journey.

Third, the supply of travel equipment and food is sufficient. During this time period, both shops in Darchen town and the supply points along the way will basically be open, which can fully guarantee a sufficient supply of materials.

In addition to Kailash kora, the devout Tibetans will also spend a few days making Mansarovar kora. Making a circuit around the lake is about 85 kilometers and takes four to five days, which is not easy for most people. The best visit time is from May to late June. During this time, the weather is fine and it probably lasts for 6-8 days. The rainy season starts in early July, with the most rainfall in July and August.

November to April of the Following Year is Not a Good Time for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.

First of all, a lot of snow covers on the circumambulation route, the road conditions become very poor, and it becomes more difficult to walk on the road, which also increases the risk.

Secondly, the temperature in Mount Kailash is low, and the air is thin, which increases the probability of altitude sickness. It is not suitable for outdoor trekking.

Finally, from November to April of the following year, Darchen Town, the starting and ending point of the Kailash Yatra, has fewer shops opening. In addition, the camping points along the way are rarely opened, which makes it difficult to complete the whole trekking.

In Terms of Years, Kailash Kora in the Horse Year and Mansarovar Kora in the Goat Year is a Great Time.

In Tibet, there is a traditional custom that having a Kailash Kora in Chinese Zodiac Horse Year is the best, and so is the Mansarovar kora in the Goat Year. In light of the myths, when you make a trip to Mt. Kailash in the Chinese year of Horse, you can easily get your blessings which is 12 times powerful than in other years. However, this is not a common date, as it comes only once every 12 years. The previous Horse Year was 2014 and the Goat Year was 2015. The next Horse Year will be 2026, and the Goat Year will be 2027. If you want to get more blessings, you can wait to visit Mount Kailash until 2026 or visit Mansarovar until 2027. In fact, you do not have to wait until the Horse or Goat Year to make a pilgrimage, as long as you visit Kailash Mansarovar religiously, you can get the blessings.

In Terms of Specific Dates, April 15th of the Tibetan Calendar is a Good Time.

For foreign travelers, there is another special time to have a Kailash trekking tour - Saga Dawa Festival on15th, April in the Tibetan calendar(Notice, it's the Tibetan calendar. The date will be different each year, roughly between May and July each year. It is said that having Kailash Yatra during the Saga Dawa festival will gain double blessings. Saga Dawa Festival is to honor the birth, enlightenment, and death of Sakyamuni. During this time, hundreds of the Tibetan locals will have a trekking tour around Kailash with the international pilgrims. And you can see many religious ceremonies that are rarely seen on ordinary days. So, it’s the best time to explore Tibetan culture.

Weather in Kailash Mansarovar

Mt.Kailash and Lake Mansarovar are located in the Ngari area, where belongs to the plateau mountain climate. There are two major features of the climate: high elevation and cold temperature, causing this area to be dominated by winter, while summer is short.

Ngari's Weather in Four Seasons

Winter: From November to April of each year, the temperature is below the freezing point and the wind is strong. Despite the low temperature and strong wind, it is accompanied by a clear sky. It's recommended to pack warm underwear, knee pads, climbing clothes or down jackets, and trekking shoes.

Summer: From May to September each year, the temperature is between 5 °C to 20 °C. The weather is cool during the day, while it drops to around 5 °C at night. This period is also in the rainy season in Tibet, but the weather in Ngari during the day is mainly sunny. It's recommended to pack knitwear, long trousers, outdoor jackets and light down jackets.

Spring and Autumn: The spring and autumn seasons in the Ngari area are not obvious.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Comments

No comments posted yet.