Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Klenke

Klenke - Jul 6, 2015 5:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Bettys Jugs

The name comes from your typical Roperism using local toponyms as reference: Bettys Pass on the west, Jug Lakes on the east. It doesn't have to be those kind of jugs we're talking about. It could be the kind of jugs used to hold other kinds of beverages.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Jul 7, 2015 10:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bettys Jugs

Well, when I told my wife I was gonna check out Betty's Jugs on Friday, I was physically assaulted. Thankfully, not enough to put me in the hospital. I would recommend that all the married men in the audience refrain from all comments regarding 'jugs', even if they are of the beverage-holding variety.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 14, 2016 12:59 am - Hasn't voted

Road blocked at 2600 ft

This is just an FYI: I discovered the road blocked by a large group large trees at 2600 ft a couple of hundred yards before the 2643 junction. It's hard to say if this blockage will ever get removed.

For the ascent, then, I went straight up the forested slope from the 2643 junction, went left on the first upper logging road a hundred yards or so to the scoured landslide/washout gully you describe, taking a fairly good game trail up its right side. But on the return later I stuck to the trees on the north side of the gully for the descent. All in all I affirm that the washout gully really does kinda suck.

If that tree blockage becomes permanent, I'd say the route I took up the slope crosscountry from the junction would now be the most direct.

I was a bit surprised to find a rough climber's path along the ridge once you get into the old growth at 4500 ft. There were even some cut branches. Was this your work?

By the way, your page neglects to mention the overzealous drainage berms placed in the road from the 2160 junction onward. Crikey. A berm every 10-20 yards has got to be a record for most frequent.

Paul

kevinsa

kevinsa - Aug 14, 2016 3:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Road blocked at 2600 ft

Well that kind of stinks - I was hoping to go in that way in the near future to bag Chaval. Yes, a few of those cut branches are probably my fault.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 14, 2016 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Road blocked at 2600 ft

Nah, it just means an extra mile of walking one way. When you're going for difficult Chaval, what's an extra mile of logging road to start and end a day.

When I climbed Chaval in 2003 (report), we went up via Jug Lakes but returned to Illabot Creek Road at Illabot Lake. With modern GPSs, it seems like it ought to be possible to climb to Chaval from there. The key is to make the correct diagonal to reach the ridgeline somewhere east of Pt. 5522. Once up there the terrain is fairly straightforward for routefinding to the saddle next to Petit Chaval.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Bettys Jugs (Bettys Peak)' main page