Big House Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Hagen

Hagen - Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am Date Climbed: May 5, 2012

A wonderful hidden gem.  Sucess!

Our group of two couples did this as an overnight backpack. The weather called for passing showers, but it turned out to be a fairly steady drizzle all the way up to the saddle. No wories, the little orange newts were everywhere. (Fire newts?) We met Brian from the Virginia Outdoor Foundation on the way up. He gave us a quick overview of the area.

We set up camp at the shelter on the saddle, and the weather cleared. Brian popped up and let us know the weather would hold for the afternoon and suggested the side trail/scramble to the incredible vista on the south end of Big House's summit ridge. From the trail up Big House, look for the blue blazes where the trail takes the right-hand switchback. You will be continuing straight at the switchback. The scramble isn't more than 70-100yds of class II.
The concrete shelter at the summit is something to behold. It reminds me of a bomb shelter.

surgent

surgent - Jun 2, 2008 4:08 pm Date Climbed: May 18, 2008

My 1st, my wife's 150th  Sucess!

Spectacular hike and peak. A great trail all the way up with great views! There does not seem to be a downside about this peak at all. Had a wonderful time.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Big House Mountain' main page