Big South Fork

Big South Fork

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Overview

Tall Beech in Laurel ForkA tall American beech

This is a holding area for parts of the Big South Fork National River and National Recreational Area (BSFNRNRA) in Kentucky and Tennessee. This is a large national park unit with many different natural, historic, and recreational resources.

The National Park Service (NPS) is clearly working very hard to reduce user conflicts. BSFNRNRA is very popular with horse riders, in addition to hikers and mountain bikers. All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and horse-drawn wagons are allowed in some areas. There are high-density campgrounds, stables, and even a scenic train. Trails are color-coded by allowable use to keep people separate who want to be separate.

BSFNRNRA is also home of the John Muir National Recreational Trail (JMNRT). This 50-mile trail isn't as famous as the JMT in California, nor as strikingly beautiful, but its scenery is lovely nonetheless. This album covers (so far) about 10 miles of the JMNRT in addition to the Laurel Fork Trail. With connectors to the Bandy Creek Campground, trailhead and visitor center, this was nice a 23-mile loop.

External Links

NPS site.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Oct 31, 2010 9:40 am - Voted 10/10

Lotta work ahead?

I assume you are planning on putting up an Area/Mountain page for BSFNRNRA? I hope so! Although I haven't been there yet I have done enough research on it to know that it deserves a place here on SP. It is also big enough that putting up that page will be a lot of work. Good Luck.

Nice album, and nice beta (that JMT trail sounds interesting). Thanks for posting.

Mark

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Oct 31, 2010 3:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lotta work ahead?

I've only been there once, and have no plans for an area page so far. But one motive for the album was to attract the attention of other people who might know more about it.

I bet you have another weekend (maybe two) of good fall colors left this year. Unless we get a wind storm -- make plans now!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2