Black Butte (CA) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
SpankyBob

SpankyBob - Jun 29, 2004 12:25 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The signs are largely down or missing. You can identify this road because it is the only dirt road from Everitt Memorial Highway that has a stop sign. (You see only the back of the stop sign). All the other roads are much less maintained. The turn off is 1.5 - 1.6 miles from the railroad crossing (according to my odometer). Follow the excellent topo map on this page for the final driving directions. The road starts to peter out towards the end, just keep following the one with the most evidence of traffic on it. The road ends with a small round about at the trail head. Parking can be tough if there are more than a few cars there.

emilie

emilie - Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Road conditions

I did this this morning in my Mazda 3. Drove carefully as there are numerous potholes, but no major problems in a low clearance FWD vehicle. I didn't have any driving beta and didn't notice any signs at all. I just stayed on the main gravel road. Anytime there was a fork or a turnoff, I stuck to the more obvious choice and it took me to the small cul-de-sac parking lot just fine.

romo - Oct 5, 2015 12:17 am - Hasn't voted

road directions and history

check this out and do not try to get there from Weed via Black Butte Rd or Black Butte Lookout Rd. There are gates and at least one locked gate.
This gives history and directions.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_008082.pdf
A regular car could make it as of 9/29/2015

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Black Butte (CA)' main page