Black Mountain (Benton) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
EastKing

EastKing - Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the input. I updated the page's overview so the trail doesn't surprise people.

STW - Sep 23, 2005 5:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I love Black Mt (Benton Range), and have climbed it many times in many conditions. I would point out that it is not actually the easiest climb in the book. The middle third of the Chippewa trail is actually quite steep. It's not very long, but it can be pretty tough for newbies or people who are not in good condition.

EastKing

EastKing - Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the input. I updated the page's overview so the trail doesn't surprise people.

royswkr - Jan 7, 2006 10:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The village you pass through in both sets of directions is actually "North Woodstock", if you get to Woodstock you are lost :-)



I would suggest reaching the Chippewa Trail at least via Rte.25 if you are coming through Plymouth

Hebroned - Feb 5, 2020 7:35 am - Voted 10/10

Chippewa Trail is Steep

The Chippewa Trail has over a 1,500' elevation gain in 1.8 miles. This is considered a steep and difficult climb by most day hiking standards. It is family friendly because it is a short (1.5 hr. book time) to the top with outstanding 360 degree views of the Connecticut River Valley and Green Mountains of Vermont to the east and south, The Presidential and Franconia range to the north and Mt. Moosilauke to the east.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Black Mountain (Benton)' main page