Viewing: 1-16 of 16
amcke004

amcke004 - Dec 31, 2007 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

thanks for the TR.
Hope Roberta is doing well!

AJones

AJones - Jan 7, 2008 11:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad

Yep, this rescue went about as smoothly as one could hope.

PS - I just got an envelope on the weekend for your book and will have it in the mail this week. I'll send you a PM and let you know what we're doing.

Wermus - Jan 7, 2008 12:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Apology on Behalf of "US"

As an American, I'm quite depressed that a group left so much refuse in the hut. I can't quite get the image of the abandoned turkey carcass out of mind! It seems a shame that, no matter where one goes, from beach to peak, garbage remains from someone careless. For what it's worth, I'm sorry on behalf of my country.

AJones

AJones - Jan 7, 2008 1:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Apology on Behalf of

I think Canaadians, and everyone other nationality, can be equally disrespectful - it just so happened to be Americans in this case. The mess in there was pretty amazing though. Perhaps with a big group, and everyone leaving at slightly different times, it was more of a case of communication break-down (kind of like in big groups and restaurants, the tips the servers get always seem to be smaller).

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jan 7, 2008 1:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Report

I'm happy Roberta is doing well. This is a reminder just how far from help a few hours of snow travel places you. I think everybody involved performed great.

AJones

AJones - Jan 8, 2008 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report


Thanks - the experience was a real eye opener.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Jan 8, 2008 12:57 am - Voted 10/10

Good Report

I am with you on the "be prepared" method of packing, the light and fast crowd tease me about the size of my pack, "hey dude are you going camping?", but I refuse to head out without a first aid kit, bivy sack, extra layers, fire source, repair kit, extra food, etc. etc.. Thank goodness I have never had to rescue a team member, but I want some resources when things turn for the worse.
This also speaks to a good number in your group, 2 to help 1. It would have taken 1 person considerably longer to get Roberta back to the hut.

The trick now will be to get Roberta back on the tele skis!

AJones

AJones - Jan 8, 2008 7:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report

Thanks for the comments. While back-country skiing I've also been accused of camping, but better safe than sorry; and once you've had the experience of an injured party, it changes your viewpoint. Roberta turned into a good tele skier.

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Jan 8, 2008 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Report

Sounds like you guys did a great job. Glad to hear Roberta is fine. Nice work.

AJones

AJones - Jan 9, 2008 12:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report

Thanks - great pics on your page by the way. Nice to see good climbing shots.

pvalchev

pvalchev - Jan 9, 2008 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Gripping story

Thanks for the great writing, and sharing!

AJones

AJones - Jan 10, 2008 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gripping story

Thanks - my pleasure

don

don - Jan 9, 2008 9:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Bridge in place now

Thanks for the great report! There is now a bridge in place over Cayoosh Creek (enroute to the Cerise Creek Trail) that will allow one to keep the skiis on, so you can be cool and safe!

AJones

AJones - Jan 10, 2008 12:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bridge in place now

That's good to know - thanks.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Jan 10, 2008 5:14 am - Voted 10/10

Safe or sorry?

Hi AJ,

our tradition in the UK is also to carry "emergency kit" and as the other guys reported this means a lot of sweat when ascending peaks. On our trips to the Pyrenees we have noted that the locals (Spanish / French) seem in the main to go up the hills with tiny sacs which seemed to leave us at a disadvantage when following them. It is a quite difficult job to get the right balance between taken everything and the bare minimum. We always take first aid kits, head torches with spare batteries, polythene emergency bags and waterproof top layer even on one day trips.
Then you start adding spare socks, fleeces, hats and gloves depending on the season and your days food & drink and you've got a 35 pound pack at least. If rock climbing there's another 10 pound to add for ropes, harnesses, carabiners, nuts, slings etc. and you have a fair load to haul up the hill.

One advantage we have with our smaller areas is that our mobile fones do have reasonable cover and if different members are on different networks the safety factor rises somewhat.

I don't know what it's like to travel in areas like yours with vast open spaces miles from aid, but you must be even more self sufficient than us.

Any way, sorry about droning on, well done on your rescue, without your sensible actions it could have turned out nasty.

cheers Johnnie

AJones

AJones - Jan 10, 2008 10:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Safe or sorry?

Thanks for the good response. You're bang on - it's a trade-off on what to bring. Here in Canada (BC and Alberta) cell (mobile) phone coverage is very spotty at best. Rarely, do you get coverage anywhere you might be climbing or skiing. A satellite phone is a different matter - you can get coverage most anywhere, but they are expensive to rent, so really only practical on big multi-day adventures. We generally always bring a first kit (with space blanket), leg/ankle splint, rain gear, gloves and touques (Canadian for a "wool hat"). Once you've had the experience of rescuing someone, I think it's fair to say, it changes your outlook a little on how prepared you want to be.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Broken Legs, Helicopters, and Americans – Oh My!' main page