Buddhist Rock near Chilas

Buddhist Rock near Chilas

Buddhist rock carvings and inscriptions along the Indus river near Chilas, Typical Buddhist images with stupas or meditating Buddhas engravings of animals ibex, markhor, etc various motifs related to Shiva, Vishnu or Zoroastrian influences and inscriptions in various languages scribbled into a stone.The route alongside the Indus river was a 'highway' for thousands of years for passing through merchant caravans or military expeditions. Over the years it facilitated spread of religions first Buddhist, later Islam between Central Asia and the Subcontinent.
Karrar Haidri
on Aug 10, 2008 3:44 am
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 430112

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3

usman180 - Mar 31, 2011 2:24 am - Voted 9/10

nice pic.

these rocks are on the KKH or you have to deviate to watch them

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Apr 1, 2011 2:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: nice pic.

Yes these rocks are on the Karakoram Highway.
These rock carvings, as a whole, are part of the national heritage of Gilgit Baltistan.
Many of these rock carvings are from the last four to five thousand years.
Unfortunately, many of these rock carvings are already lost or at least threatened by painting, In Diamer Basha Dam Project area, particularly around Chilas and Thalpan, a large number of important rock carvings and inscriptions of the last four millenniums are found including: religious, Brahaminical and Buddhistic themes; multi-language inscriptions; and secular and zoo-morphological themes including hunting scenes. Most of these objects are potentially endangered due to submergence under the reservoir to be created by the dam.

usman180 - Apr 1, 2011 5:21 am - Voted 9/10

Re: nice pic.

thanx a lot for the info. its very sad to know that these beautiful pieces of art are being mishandled. i think you should take up the matter with authorities as you are a local person and must have lot of contacts

Viewing: 1-3 of 3