Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Dean

Dean - Aug 2, 2009 7:33 pm - Voted 10/10

A nice addition

I'd like to feature this trip report on the front page. It is truly the correct way to get this mountain. I am still embarrassed by the fact that I drove up it. As McArthur said,
"I shall return".

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Aug 3, 2009 3:02 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks

I was so frustrated with my first miserable attempt at this CoHP that I wanted to help others avoid some of my earlier mistakes. I appreciate your kind remarks.

imontop

imontop - Aug 4, 2009 1:11 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks for posting your TR

I did this hike several years ago, and posted a short TR on the mountain page. I didn't have a camera with me when I was there. Your pics are great. This is truly a wild area still! That bushwacking's a bugger huh?

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Aug 5, 2009 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for posting your TR

Yeah, it's not pretty. And I doubt that this particular trail will change very much because the location is quite remote and the primary interested parties are the few-and-far-between County Highpointers. Nonetheless, the hike is a good one. We do what we have to do to get the job done. :)

punchline

punchline - Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Should have read this trip report first ...

Well, I guess we weren't the sharpest tools in the shed on this one - my husband (Photo61Guy) and I thought this would be a fun little jaunt. We also thought that since it was Monday the hunters wouldn't be out. We were wrong on both accounts! Make sure to wear your blaze orange clothes!

We did take the CC trail and the only correction is that all the guidebooks we saw indicated you drove 18 miles on SR 30 to 42 - it is actually just 15 miles.

Another note is that as of today, the campground that flooded/washed out in June of this year is still impassable. You do take the left into the campground but don't go too far because there is only parking for 3 cars and the road to the loop/trailhead is impassable in a car.

We took the Lake Creek trail and the deadfall was horrible after the ATV road narrows down to a single track. It was obvious that there had been no trail work done in many years. We did make it to the creek crossing and up the hill but after we went about 45 minutes we sat down, ate lunch and then turned around. It was pretty obvious where the trail was "supposed" to go but we decided that we would save it for another day as we couldn't find it at all!

So as not to end on a negative note - it was absolutely beautiful up there - a dusting of snow on the summit and the trees were every shade of gold, yellow and orange you could imagine. It was a great day to be out and we look forward to heading back there again soon!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Bull Mountain-A Tough Tease' main page