Viewing: 1-8 of 8
andreeacorodeanu

andreeacorodeanu - Oct 17, 2011 12:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats

for another good page of romanian mountains! I need to thank you for all your great and useful stuff (pics, videos and wrotes) about romanian mountains and Im happy that you like so much here :)!

LukZem

LukZem - Oct 19, 2011 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats

Thanks Andreea. You know well I love your country very much and Im extremely looking forward to my autumn journey (Izvoarele Nerei, Cheile Nerei, Cheile Bicazului, Piatra Altarului, Ceahlau, Cheile Turzii and Apuseni). Your POTD shot encoureged me to visit Buzau mud volcanoes next year....

andreeacorodeanu

andreeacorodeanu - Oct 20, 2011 2:30 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Congrats

:D! Wow! Very nice places you choosed! You will love it! Hey soon you will cover all romanian Carpathians and you will hike/visit more than me here :))! Have a great time Lukas and enjoy all that beautiful places! We had already first snow :)!

peterbud

peterbud - Oct 17, 2011 3:36 pm - Voted 10/10

a long awaited addition

Thanks for starting out a page about Calimani/Kelemen. Of course, there is room for further information, but the page already gives a good overview.

As for the volcanic karst, it would be worth mentioning the cave system of Negoiu Romanesc (which used to feature a hall called "Chocolate Palace") that was destroyed by the sulphur mine.

A note of historic interest: the "Maria Theresia road".

A very popular place, although much offset from the main crest, is the "God's Seat" ("Scaunul Domnului" in Romanian, "Istenszéke" in Hungarian), which offers fine panorama on the main ridge in good weather.

As for faunistic interest, these mountains once used to be the safe home for European bison. The last one was reported to be shot in 1780.

LukZem

LukZem - Oct 19, 2011 9:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a long awaited addition

Thanks for your additions. They are of special interest especially the last one. Since KELEMEN used to be part of "your" kingdom, I expect you could add any more precious info. You were given "Edit" status. I put a lot of effort and time in this long awaited addition. Need some rest just now....

peterbud

peterbud - Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: a long awaited addition

Thanks for the edit rights, Lukas. It is likely that I cannot devote time to SP until the end of the year, but then I will try. Most of what I mentioned above is just "literature" knowledge. I have only been on God's Seat, but it was full fog, so my pics are not very distinctive.

The kingdom is gone, the mountains are not ;)

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 25, 2017 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Calimani, Calimani...

Brilliant updates and fantastic memories. Lovely, informative page. Best Christmas wishes to the Authors!

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 25, 2017 5:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Calimani, Calimani...

Thanks Tomek, also for your photos, without which the page would be much less attractive. Merry Christmas!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Călimani Mountains' main page