Camapuan (aka Camapuã) Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Felipe Land & Sea Hiker

Felipe Land & Sea Hiker - Oct 25, 2015 5:21 pm Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2015

Summiting Camapuã; the peak of Tucum so close and yet so far.  Sucess!

First I'd like to thank SummitPost.org and Parofes for the information provided here which enabled me to arrive at the summit of Mount Camapuã. Secondly I'd like to say that I was deeply saddened to find out that Parofes had passed away. Therefore I thought it would be fitting to leave a note inside the box of each of the summits, indicating that I had arrived there with his help; despite the fact that we have never met in person and that I only read his account online of this mountain and others in the region after he had already passed. Unfortunately when my group and I arrived at the summit of Camapuã, the summit box was missing and therefore there was no way to leave an account of our accomplishment and thank you to Parofes. I've decided that the next time I summit this mountain I'll carry a new box and book to the summit for future record keeping. In any case the spirit of adventure and freedom of Parofes lives on through all the people his accounts aid in achieving successful trips to all the summits he has contributed to here at SummitPost.org.

We arrived at Bolinha Farm on Saturday August 15th, 2015 in the early afternoon where we parked our car and gladly paid the R$10 per person fee that goes towards maintaining the trail. After registering and chatting with Giovane (farm manager) to gather valuable up to date information about the hike. The plan was to summit Mount Camapuã and then Mount Tucum. We took to the trail at approximately 2:00pm. The trail begins easy with a low incline crossing clear water creeks. Later the trail becomes very steep and the going is slow and arduous. We stopped often for short breaks and one longer break to eat due to the heat and the weight of our packs. We wouldn't find much of a relief until we reached the summits of Mount Camapuã at approximately 6:00pm on August 15th, 2015 via the NW route. Sunset was imminent and we couldn't stop to enjoy it since we began to feel the chill from the breeze and drop in temperature as the sun faded and our sweat cooled.

We had conquered the summit of Mount Camapuã at approximately 6pm via the NW route. A quick change of clothing as we decided not to continue to the summit of Mount Tucum due to the fading light and our lack of knowledge / experience of this trail. We left it in the books to possibly attempt it the next day. Pitching our tents in a hurry as darkness and the cold overcame us so that we could have a shelter to protect us from the now steady moderate wind. As soon as the tents were ready we prepared our dinner and celebrated the day's accomplishment while admiring the lights of the city of Curitiba in the distance to the SW and the stars above. We would recognize the value of a hot meal. We began the trail in the 20's celsius and at night it must have hit the single digit. We were alone on the summit.

We woke the next morning to watch the sunrise to blue skies all around, had breakfast and decided to hangout. We took time for pictures and explored the trail that leads to Tucum but due to our lack of knowledge we decided not to attempted it and leave it for a future expedition. As we hung out other groups of people arrived chatted and and we watched them take the trail and summit Mount Tucum. We took pictures of their attempt for our reference in the future and found out that the water source between the two peaks was dry. We had taken all the water we need with us since water sources only exist at the begging of the trail to Camapuã and as we had expected the water source between Mount Camapuã and Tucum was dry. We ate lunch and broke camp.

Our descent began after 1:30pm following the same trail we had ascended on. We barely stopped on the descent only doing so to hydrate. It took us approximately 3hrs and 20 minutes to get back to the Bolinha Farm. The descent can be accomplished faster we chose to go easy to avoid injury given the weight of our packs. arriving there approximately at 5:15pm Sunday August 16th, 2015.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Aug 9, 2010 12:30 pm

3 times already  Sucess!

i did this summit. And i'll do it more of course...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Camapuan (aka Camapuã) Peak' main page