Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Aug 9, 2009 12:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo, Nader,

Loved reading your adventures hiking through forests and canyons with no trails or a faint one at best. Loved all the photos and the descriptions. I've never been to Mazandaran, but if I ever go back to Iran, I'll have to take a trip there.
Thanks for sharing your adventures with the rest of us.

nader

nader - Aug 9, 2009 4:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo, Nader,

Thank you for reading and commenting Marc,

I had not been to Iran for 21 years but once I went for the first time in 2004, I was hooked. Have been there every summer since then. The country is an amazing place and has so much potential. You can go directly from snowy peaks to jungles such as these.

The canyon turned out to be a much wilder place than I thought. On Farsi climbing sites, I had read about people hiking here but they gave very few details. The memories of this magical place will forever be with me.

neghafi

neghafi - Aug 16, 2009 2:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool

Nice pictures with detailed information as always. Thanks.

Is it possible to present your track on a map or share your GPS track? I saw some points but seems they are very far from each other.

Have you any ropes with you? any technical rappeling needed from waterfalls?

And how much food (kg)?

nader

nader - Aug 16, 2009 8:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

Thank you,

I do not have a track to give you. The GPS signal was weak in many places in the canyon. I have many more points and can give them to you if you want but they are all on the banks of the stream. If you follow the stream, you will not get lost.

The only place where you need a rope is at the waterfall that I identified as the "Major Obstacle". I have read a few trip reports on Farsi sites about this canyon but none of them say anything about the waterfall and how they got around it. My friend and I did not find any simple routes around the waterfall. We ended up going down a near vertical slope (in the forest away from the waterfall) roughly 7 floors tall. If my friend did not have a rope, I could not have gone down that slope. Although there was a lot of Bushwhacking, there were no other "technical spots". Keep in mind that in 3 places we followed a trail in the forest so there might have been other obstacles by the stream that we did not see.

I do not know how many Kg of food that would be. It took us 2 and a half days to hike.

If you want to, I can give you the name and number of my friend in Iran. I think he knows other people who have detailed trip reports and possibly GPS tracks.

neghafi

neghafi - Aug 17, 2009 4:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Cool

Well I thought it's a 5 day hike from mountains to the sea ...
Thanks again for this additional information

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Kojoor (to Caspian Sea) Canyon' main page