Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Feb 28, 2010 2:21 am - Hasn't voted

Good page...

This one has been a long time coming. I would add some mention of Slaughter Canyon on the surface things to do (maybe I missed mention of it). I would also link this page to the Guadalupe Mountains NP page as a 'related' page. Good stuff though.

Cedar

Cedar - Feb 28, 2010 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good page...

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'll probably extend the writeup a bit more on Slaughter Canyon (since I know there are other trails that I know of) and that should be in by next weekend as with everything else I plan on adding.

Also, in case you did miss it, I do have a section about getting to the highpoint from Slaughter Canyon; it was hidden below the images (I reformatted it just now) and wasn't very extensive.

davebobk47

davebobk47 - Feb 28, 2010 10:49 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

Perfect timing, I'm heading down in 3 weeks. I was suprised a few days ago when I didn't see a page for the Caverns. Great job so far.

Cedar

Cedar - Feb 28, 2010 11:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too a few months ago when I didn't find anything on it. I finally put up this page after finding a bit of free time. I hope to get this done by the end of the week. Thanks and hope you have fun.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Feb 28, 2010 5:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Good to see this!

I was down there last month and was surprised there was no SP page; you beat me to it (and did a better job than I would have).

I'll second the link to the Guadalupes. I wonder if anyone knows enough about the Lincoln National Forest to write up those connections between the two parks?

Cedar

Cedar - Feb 28, 2010 5:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good to see this!

Thank you for your comments. I have attached the Guadalupe Mountains NP page as Related though that link is way down there at the left. I also linked it down in the Geology section when I wrote it. Do you mean like a link in the intro paragraph?

A page on the Lincoln NF between the two parks would be nice since I've found very little about it when I went. The only thing I managed to get to was the Sitting Bull Falls though I think there would be a lot more to it than just that.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice page ...

Just like the other gentlemen, I would have thought one of SP's
"cavers" would have created a CC page. (Perhaps they're too busy
caving!!!)

Glad that you found some free time. I know it's a really popular
area for spring breakers and tourists alike!

Cedar

Cedar - Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page ...

Thanks for commenting. Popular is right! We went around Christmas and the gigantic parking lot was nearly 80% filled...felt like going to Walmart!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Feb 28, 2010 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice page ...

Wow, I was there around January 15 and it was empty. I had the entire historic entrance walk to myself, the entire way down. It was cool to close your eyes and hear . . . . nothing.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 28, 2010 9:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice page ...

Yeah, when I visited, the place drove me "batty!"

If I had used my sonar, my ears would have popped from the sound
of toddlers having their pampers changed, for crying out loud!

Art must have went at a good time.

Cedar

Cedar - Mar 1, 2010 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page ...

Impressive what a difference a few weeks makes.

Of course, in the winter, there's no bats around which is arguably what the cave is most famous for so I guess I'll have to go back there during the summer sometimes.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Mar 2, 2010 6:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice page

Have you summited the highpoint? Creating a page for CC's highest point would be great too. I'm amazed at the fringe groups that seek those places out.

Cedar

Cedar - Mar 3, 2010 9:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Unfortunately, I have not been there. Last time going, there was heavy snow above about 5000 feet making it quite impossible to get anywhere high up into backcountry Carlsbad Caverns.

And there are groups of all types of all kinds. It's just like state highpointing, just to a much deeper extent. I'm not one of them though and only try if they are prominent in some way or just seem plain interesting.

eric-griz

eric-griz - Mar 3, 2010 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice page

I think I would change the name to Carlsbad Caverns National Park since you've included info on the surface and not just the cavern.

Cedar

Cedar - Mar 3, 2010 9:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

I actually debated on the name of this page since I generally do not like to give "political designations" to natural places if it would be used to refer to region had the park not been created. For example, if the "Joshua Tree National Park" page was named "Joshua Tree," it may seem a bit weird since the area isn't exactly called "Joshua Tree" (which is a city name). On the other hand, the "Death Valley" page covers all of Death Valley National Park beyond the valley. Yet, all those other valleys can generally be referred to as "Death Valley" since the entire region is called that.

When I hear it, the name "Carlsbad Caverns" can be used to refer to both the main caverns and the dense concentration of caves which line the escarpment. I guess the current name IS debatable but I think I'll keep it for now.

eric-griz

eric-griz - Mar 4, 2010 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Fair enough. I worked at Carlsbad Caverns as a seasonal park guide for 3 winters and noticed a slight error. There are more than 2 caves that are open to the public. A tour of Spider Cave is offered and experienced cavers may get permits to explore a few other caves in the park including Corkscrew Cave, Ogle Cave, Wen Cave, Goat Cave, and Christmas Tree Cave. There may be one or two others that permits are available to explore as well, but I can't remember the names. If you want any photos of some of these caves just let me know and I can scan them and attch them to your page.

Cedar

Cedar - Mar 4, 2010 9:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Ah...didn't realize Spider Cave was a separate cave and had assumed it was just another cavern in the main cave like Bat Cave and Lower Cave. I'll change that paragraph to reflect how experienced cavers are able to get permits for those caves.

Photos would be welcomed! As always, they speak louder than words; especially at a place like this.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Mar 9, 2010 3:41 am - Voted 10/10

Wow nice job!

The history you provide, the details of the caves are wonderful. Yosemite has tour busses too but still a place where everyone should not miss. Your page tells me I need to visit Carlsbad Caverns. Very informative!

Cedar

Cedar - Mar 9, 2010 8:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow nice job!

Thank you for your comments. Yosemite was actually the first thought that popped into my head when I got there. My second thought was Grand Canyon South Rim. As they say, there's always a reason they go where they go.

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'Carlsbad Caverns' main page