Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Galoot44 - Apr 8, 2020 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Paha Sapa Foundation etc

My sister runs this foundation and lives in Morgan Hill CA. Our father owned the property and his father bought it in the 1940's. We would greatly appreciate you letting people know that the property is NOT open to hikers. Thank you.

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - Apr 8, 2020 3:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Paha Sapa Foundation etc

Hello Galoot44
Thanks for writing this. Today (April 8, 2020), I checked the official online Fall River County property map. From what they post, it certainly looks like the Paha Sappa Foundation does own the land around the southwest and southern flanks of Catholicon Mountain, but not the summit or other portions of the mountain. There are other owners on the mountain as well, including the federal government and if they wish to grant access, that is their right. I was granted such access several years ago.

Perhaps it would be helpful for Paha Sappa to post "No Trespassing" signs around their portion of Catholicon. This should dissuade all but those who do not flinch at disrespecting private property. I lived in Hot Springs enough years to know that people in the community will continue on in "the old ways" of doing things until it is communicated to them that there are new ways that things must be done. Good luck. Your post will serve as a reminder to all conscientious hikers checking out SummitPost information for access to Catholicon Mountain.

Galoot44 - Apr 8, 2020 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Paha Sapa Foundation etc

I agree, we should post signs, and will try to do so soon. My sister had the impression that the foundation owned up and over the peak, but I checked the property maps for Fall River County and it appears that it isn't our foundations, nor the NPS, but some "Agenbroad Living Trust". Thanks for your wonderful site!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Catholicon Mountain' main page