Viewing: 1-4 of 4
FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Dec 1, 2008 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well Flathead Native;

This comment was a response to a reader who suggested that I add some history regarding David Thompson, an influential early explorer of the Canadian Rockies to points south through present day Montana. Thompson was also perhaps an instigator of negative relations between the Blackfeet Nation and white man. I added his suggested link and included a "brief" mention of Thompson. My response to his comment is below.

Thanks for your comments on Thompson and I am aware of his influence, however my goal when writing this article was to highlight some of the influential players that are germane to the naming of places associated with Glacier National Park.

The writer also wrote that Lewis and Clark were "considerably south of Glacier National Park during their expedition." As far as Lewis and Clark the travel of Lewis to Blackfeet country within 25 miles of the Park's eastern border is documented. I certainly would not call that considerably south of the park.

I realize that there are a number of influential men who preceeded as well as complicated exploration of the Rocky Mountains. Thompson being a prime example of both.

However to focus on that particular subject is beyond the scope of this article. I will add a link to your suggested book as well as a link to David Thompson. A complete treatise of all of the factors leading to opening of the West will not be my goal for this article.

Thank you for you astute observations and the addition of the information for David Thompson.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Dec 1, 2008 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well Researched

Sam I never considered that. It is not technically a "pass" in the purest usage of the word.

I truly is unique and the views are incredible.

samh

samh - Dec 3, 2008 12:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Well Researched

Well if its not a pass then it doesn't belong here. When one of us gets around to writing up a page about the Ptarmigan Goat Traverse (and this DOES need to be done someday), perhaps some history of the tunnel could be added into that page.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Dec 3, 2008 3:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well Researched

That would be the place to place that information. Perhaps I will be able to do that trip next summer!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Centennial Series: A History of Glacier National Park’s Passes: Part II' main page