Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Jan 9, 2007 9:27 pm - Voted 10/10

:-)

Fully agree.
Congratulations from me as well!

nartreb

nartreb - Jan 12, 2007 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

scrollable pano

you've used the original-size photo, which is too tall for the available "letterbox" frame, not just too wide for the page. The scrollbars help a bit, but we really can't picture the entire scene. Try the large size instead. (That's one's not as tall as the frame, so you'll want to reduce the height of the frame a little. )
http://www.summitpost.org/images/large/254395.jpg

hikerman99

hikerman99 - Jan 13, 2007 6:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: scrollable pano

Done. I just switched this using the SP image feature with medium size. Yeah, the photo was just too big, too much scrolling.

Thanks,
Bob

weeds19

weeds19 - Jan 14, 2007 5:11 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting Read

I visited Aconcagua a few years ago and was intrigued by the many other peaks within a hundred miles. Thanks for writing about a peak I knew nothing about! Congrats on the summit!

climberska - Jan 15, 2007 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Job.

Thanks for the excellent trip report.

Next time I think I'd be sure to take the axe - in case you get some ice while on the mountain...........

Why was it you weren't sleeping much?

Does it ever happen that there is NO snow to melt around your high camps? If so, could be a problem.

hikerman99

hikerman99 - Jan 17, 2007 12:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Job.

Yes, no ice axe was somewhat of a risk. The funny thing is that only a brief section of ice could cause a big problem. I never sleep well when camping, plus hitting the sleeping bag at 7PM doesn't help because I don't spend enough hours active and awake to be sleepy. There was always snow. I guess in the really dry peaks further north (Pissis, etc.) no snow is a real risk.
Thanks,
Bob

eferesen

eferesen - Jan 16, 2007 2:22 am - Hasn't voted

Fantastic Story

How does one organize a trip like? I have not done much travelling abroad. How to plan for budget? How much does the whole thing cost (airfare etc)? Are permits required? Do you need to get a visa?

This sounds like such a wonderful trip. Congratulations!!! Please do respond.
Thanks

hikerman99

hikerman99 - Jan 17, 2007 1:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic Story

I did a trip to Ecuador and did Cotopaxi with a guide (a simple two-day climb) and did a two-week climb in Chile with some experienced Summitposters last year, so I had a good idea of what I was getting into. Also I read absolutely everything I could find on the mountain on the Internet. $1000 tickets from Miami and $500 each way for jeep transportation and mules. No visa as the South American countries are happy to have tourists. Chile charges $100 entry fee for Americans, but Argentina is free. No permits for Ramada (though I believe nearby Aconcagua is $300 because they have rangers, a helicopter, etc.) The two weeks, much of it sitting around and acclimatizing, is a long time and can be boring but it adds to the sense of accomplishment and gives time to really soak in the experience.
Thanks,
Bob

William Marler

William Marler - Jan 17, 2007 3:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks

For the interesting read and information. Congratulations. Cheers William

ROBERT LAFLAMME - Oct 22, 2014 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

near the sun

on the top of Cerro Ramada on January 4 2015 at noon will be the closest place and time you can be from the sun and have your 2 feet on the grown. will anyone reach it at this time ?

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Cerro Ramada, Argentina, Dec 2006' main page