Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 19.61875°S / 65.7498°W
Additional Information Elevation: 15800 ft / 4816 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro Rico lurks over the city of Potosi, Bolivia like a vulture, just waiting to claim the lives of hapless miners, as she has done since the fifteen hundreds. Spanish silver mines produced massive riches making Potosi the richest city on earth in the late 1500's, the mines also cost many indian and black miners their lives. Potosi is the worlds highest city at around 13,400 feet and a great place to go to acclimate to altitude. Though physically not very interesting, Cerro Rico deserves mention because of it's domination both in presence and economically of the city of Potosi and additionally for it's ease of access.

Getting There

If you get to Potosi, you can't miss it. Just walk from downtown to the mountain.

Red Tape

None

When To Climb

Any time

Camping

You don't want to camp here, security would be an issue.

Mountain Conditions

Cerrro Rico is a big rock pile, for weather and other conditions you need to check locally, it's a fairly quick climb so you don't need much of a window.

Miscellaneous Info

As "a big rock pile' Cerro Rico has an infinate number of routes. There is a lot of scree and loose rock, so be careful. There are actually paths on the left side of the mountain as you look at it from town. On top is a weather station, often manned. Roundtrip from town takes about four hours. To the summit is a gain of 2,500 feet.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Dec 12, 2007 1:06 am - Hasn't voted

When to Climb

Dry season is June to September, IN wet season (rest of year) weather moves quiclky in this high elevation area and it was my experience (in 4 days hiking) that there is a lot of lightning in the area with little protection from it, can be scary.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.