North Slope from Green Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14300°N / 118.529°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is probably the most commonly used route for ascending Cloudripper. The route from Baker Lakes is shorter, but the approach via dirt road is arduous.

From the South Lake Road, there are two trailheads that can be used to access the Green Lake Trail. The easiest starts at the backpacker's lot near the north shore of South Lake. The second has a lower starting elevation and can be found at Parcher's Resort about a mile north of South Lake - drive into the resort past all the cabins, and park at the pack station (or just outside if the chain is across the road indicating it is closed). The trail is on the right (east) side of the road and unmarked. The two trails join after about a half mile, then it is several miles up to Green Lake, passing Brown Lake on the way.

Route Description

There are two variations that can be used. The shortest route heads due south from the south end of Green Lake, up the class 2 slopes of a headwall found at the south end of a meadow here. This route is somewhat steep and may have considerable snow in early season. A technically easier, but longer route continues on the trail up to the high plateau between Green Lake and Baker Creek. From the high plateau, head south along a broad, boulder strewn ridgeline, staying along the top. After a quarter mile the ridgeline curves to the right, though this isn't perceptable at first. The two routes converge on the north slope of Vagaabond Peak.

Vagabond Peak is an intermediate peak with nearly the height of Cloudripper that must be climbed (or nearly climbed) in order to reach Cloudripper. Go up and over Vagabond, across a short conjoining plateau, and climb the North Slope of Cloudripper. The summit blocks are easy class 3.

Essential Gear

None normally needed. If taking the short approach from Green Lake, crampons/axe will be helpful in early season.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.