West and south approach

West and south approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.45000°N / 13.44000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble and hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You deter from the highway some seven kilometers west of Tarvisio and drive south into the Valbruna (Zajzera) valley. The road ends on an alpine meadow on the altitude of 1000 m.

Route Description


You start walking from the parking space in the direction to the pass Sella di Sompdogna on the route number 611. The other possibility (the route number 639) is now closed because of landslide. So you follow the signposts for the hut Rif. F. li Grego (1389m). From the hut you turn left in the way to Montaz and you still follow the route 611 all the way to the bivouac Stuparich (1578m) below the north face of Montaz.

Some meters before you come to the bivouac you turn right on the route number 652 and over that route you continue in the NW direction alomst to the pass Foran de la Grave. But before you reach the pass you turn on the route number 610 and you ascent on the summit of Iof di Sompdogna over the SW slopes.

You descend by the same route or over the north approach.


Essential Gear


Good hiking shoes.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.