Chaudron (Cheminis)

Chaudron (Cheminis)

The following hill affectionately known as "Chaudron" (Cauldron) is situated on the border with Ontario. In the summer People young and old take up the challenge to climb a hill with what appears as vertical walls on all sides . The rewards include not only a rooftop forest but amazing scenery for many miles ! Click on the image to expand it... The hill in question is adjacent to the famous Kerr Addison mine which was rumoured as being the richest gold lode of all time... Virginiatown which in its heyday was the site of gold mining being at some point the major gold producer world wide still bears witness to such a past with a relatively well preserved old city center adjacent to what was then the Kerr Addison mine which formally produced over 75 million ounces of gold but is rumoured as having produced much much more... The picture in question is of the immediate vicinity east of Kearns looking towards mount "Chaudron" -the dome shaped "Cauldron"- (formally mount Cheminis) immediately across the border. The mound in question presents sheer cliffs on all sides being basically nearly impossible to climb except on one well treaded path which the young and old alike from the region enjoy using. The hilltop itself hosts an evergreen forest . The view from the top is breathtaking considering the prominence from hill top . The area was the site of much gold ming activity starting at the beginning of the 20th century with this major discovery which paved the road for the development of a host of settlements from Larder lake and Kirkland lake and its gold mining activity on towards Timmins and the dome porcupine mines which are situated further north. While the picture may give the illusion of a mountainous area with scenic appeal, despite 2 downhills skiing centers (if mount Kanasuta across the border in Quebec is included) the area is mostly devoid of hills ...
suddendescent
on Dec 26, 2008 5:09 pm
Image ID: 474589

Comments

No comments posted yet.