Chavez Canyon Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 24, 2011 10:50 pm - Voted 10/10

About Dern Time!

This has needed a post for a long time. Last I heard the canyon had been closed off. I am glad to see that has changed. The Chama River Wilderness is awesome! Keep the NM stuff coming Hans!

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - May 24, 2011 11:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: About Dern Time!

Thanks Bubba!

NMdeserthiker - Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Climbable

So just a heads up for those looking to explore the area. When you encounter the slot-fork, the left slot does end in a tall dry fall. However, you can skirt around it by climbing/hiking up the steep hill on the left (west) side of the canyon. You can hike all the rest of the way up, navigating around another tall dryfall a little bit above the first one. As for the slot on the right, I was able to navigate through the whole thing without gear. Though I did see webbing near the top of one of the drops for a rappel, it is navigable without gear if you have the knowledge, technique, and comfort to do so, as you do have to get up some tricky and tall dryfalls. Even though the canyon widens again above, keep hiking along that east fork, as there is another slot farther in the back. This is such a beautiful place, and I highly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in narrow canyons in New Mexico :)

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Oct 22, 2017 6:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbable

Thanks for the additional beta!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Chavez Canyon' main page