Cheeseburgers in Paradise

Cheeseburgers in Paradise

This is one of the few places along the trail that you can A) get rescued since it is a port, and B) buy an omelet or cheeseburger or a very few other selected items. The folks who own some of the land are native north americans - the WCT passes through their property with their permission, as noted below.
Jeremy Hakes
on Dec 4, 2008 11:49 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 468862

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2008 11:48 am - Voted 5/10

Native CANADIANS !!!!

That's how to get 33 million people very upset, very quickly.

I'd recommend editing this caption quite rapidly......

While you're at it note that the local First Nations don't "live in the park". The park passes through their reservation entitlement with their permission. Surely you saw the signs on the trail indicating this.

Having said this, the "snack shack" near Carmanagh is an eyesore. Then again, as you must have noticed, the WCT is hardly wilderness.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 9, 2008 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Native CANADIANS !!!!

Actually, Canada is a nation, not a continent. North America, however, is a continent, so to the best of my knowledge, they are still native americans (north america).

On the other note, you are correct - they own the land, and the park passes through with their permission. Yes, we saw the signs.

I also can't edit it rapidly, but I can edit promptly. I'm disappointed by your scoring of my picture - do you really think it deserves a 5/10?

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 9, 2008 11:55 am - Voted 5/10

Re: Native CANADIANS !!!!

The addition of "north" would be a right neighbourly thing to do (neighborly - sorry).

Sorry you don't like my score. If you check the SP criteria:

1. The Worst. Ever.
2. Horrible
3. Pretty Bad
4. Below Average
5. Average
6. Above Average
7. Pretty Good
8. Excellent
9. Wow! Amazing
10. The Best. Ever.

I rated your picture average. Frankly I think this is generous. It seems to be badly focussed (is it a scan of a slide?) and the compositional balance is poor imho.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 9, 2008 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Cameras

Overall not the best quality is what you get when you use a not-so-great film camera that had seen better days, currently (at the time) in very high humidity, and then have to rely on a relatively low-quality scan of the already not great film negative.

Thank you for being generous.

klwagar

klwagar - Dec 9, 2008 2:53 am - Voted 10/10

This place

saved my life! It had poured in record amounts (even for the west coast) and the kind folks of Chez monique let me and 20 others snuggle down in a very small cabin. But we all loved it and them. Aren't they great?

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Dec 9, 2008 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This place

We had a nice time there, although it seemed a bit surreal after mostly not seeing a soul (or very very few) during most of our trip, which we found puzzling, considering it was "full".
Thanks for the visit and the vote! :)

Viewing: 1-6 of 6