Viewing: 1-9 of 9
hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 24, 2005 10:18 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Welcome to SP!



Scott

Scott - Apr 24, 2005 11:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Welcome to SummitPost! I see alot of potential for this page.



Suggestions:



1. Provide driving directions to Redfish Lake, perhaps from Stanley.



2. Beef up the overview section. The Sawtooths are one of the most spectaculat mountain ranges in the US Rockies. Let us know a little about them!



3. Signature photo. Hole the mouse over any picture without clicking. An id number will appear. Go to "edit" page and write in the id number in the appropriate section.



4. Provide the elevation of the peak. This is especially important because the peak is not named on the topo map of the area. By reading the route desription, I believe this might be Peak 10,210, but it could be one of the crags just to the east. We need some way to identify which peak this is. I assume from the route description, Cirque Lake must be the lake marked as 9,020 feet? It doesn't seem to be named on the topo either. Some reference would be of much help.



5. Entering the cordinates in DD.DDD form will be very helpful. When you enter the coordintes into the section under edit page, a topozone map link will appear on the left side of the page. If you do not know the coordintates, you can find them online. This is more tedious if the peak is unnamed. To do so, go to Topozone.com. Enter a nearby named feature and scroll around until you are centered on the unnamed peak. You can then change the cordinate display to read in DD.DDD format. Once you have the coordintes, enter them into the proper section under edit page.



If you have any questions at all, or if I may be of assistance, feel free to either email me or reply to this message. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

old5ten

old5ten - Apr 25, 2005 1:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for your comments.



1 + 2: i'll work on that. please give me time. i thought of the idea today, started putting things in place, and got hits/comments/ratings as i was writing/editing text and uploading pictures. this process needs to slow down a bit, otherwise the forum becomes a bit prohibitive...



3. done



4. partially done, unfortunately there is much confusion in this area since different 'authors' offer different descriptions. i'm going with the description from the topo of the first ascentionist (which i'll hopefully dig up eventually)



5. unfortunately the coordinates get rounded off to hundredths, putting the marker in a location quite far away from the specific rib in question. i've included better coordinates under 'getting there'.

Scott

Scott - Apr 25, 2005 11:39 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I see you are making some of the improvements. This is excellent. Often times, someone joins this site and then leaves a page abandoned for years.



Continue to work on the page. I'm sure it will make a fine addition when complete.



One suggestion:



Usually when we (us who have been here at least a little while), state in bold or cap letters right at the beginning of the page, that the page is "UNDER CONSTRUCTION". Don't worry about not having known this, since you are new to the site. This will let any voters know that you are still working on the page, and most will hold off their votes in hopes of more information. It is also a good idea to explain about how long you expect the page to be complete. Don't leave a page "under construction" for too long (some have left this for months), but it is perfectly understandable that pages take time. It is a good idea to write pages in Word first, and then post all or much of the page at once. Unfortunately, many of my pages were done out of a hotel with an internet only computer (no MS Word), but if you can do so, it is a good idea.

old5ten

old5ten - Apr 25, 2005 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for your comments.



i'd like to point out that i actually climbed the 'south rib' of cirque lake peak in august of 2000 based on a topo (i'm still trying to dig up my old copy, it's available at the elephant's perch in ketchum) put together by the first ascentionist .



he called the peak in question cirque lake peak. i can appreciate that your opinion differs, however i'm going by what he called the peak to avoid any confusion.



i realize the page is meager. unfortunately i did not expect to get hits as i was submitting text and pictures. it'll probably be a little more substantial in a couple of weeks.

rpc

rpc - Apr 29, 2005 8:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page. It might still need a bit of polishing but I'm just happy to see more Sawtooth peaks included on SP! Great addition. Would love to go back to the area and try this route.



Since Warbonnet is right next door, much of the info. is similar or same (contact #'s; shuttle boat info., some approach info...etc...) - feel free to use some of this stuff from my Warbonnet Peak page if you wish.



By the way, you think I could get a copy of that route topo from you? Much thanks!

radek

desainme

desainme - May 16, 2005 4:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think this is a well written page that describes in detail, how to get there and has good climbing photos to illustrate the text. PS.

Your coordinates of

44.0772 N,

-115.0521W

should activate the topozone just fine. It displays the first peak a tad SE of Warbonnet with a small icefield

stretching NE from the col between the two. Latitude goes in the 3rd box and negative longitude in the 4th box.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Jan 9, 2006 1:32 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page on a spectacular formation on the Monte Verita Ridge in the Sawtooths. Do you have a climbing topo for the route you did by chance?

old5ten

old5ten - Jan 9, 2006 3:32 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

(Somewhere) I've got a topo that is available from Elephant's Perch in Ketchum. It proved to be quite inaccurate, especially on when to cross over the arete. Unfortunately I've not been able to find it and update it. However the description is fairly accurate and should get you to our high point. It looked like easy fifth class on poor to mediocre rock from there to the top.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Cirque Lake Peak' main page