Cleaning the snow

Cleaning the snow

snow cleaning of the biokovo road 26 of feb. 2005.
vaude
on Feb 26, 2005 3:05 pm
Image ID: 92155

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Velebit

Velebit - Feb 26, 2005 6:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Great

Very interesting and beautiful set of Biokovo winter shots, and from today!! Thanks for posting vaude!



I'm curious to aks, if you don't mind, are you working on Sv.Jure vaude? How did you know they are going to clean the road today?

vaude

vaude - Feb 27, 2005 2:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

Velebit thanks for your message, but I m not working on Jure. This was pure coincidence, because of the amounts of snow which falled last week on biokovo. This picture is taken approximately 5 km of air distance from Adriatic sea, which is pretty rarely, isn t it?

Velebit

Velebit - Feb 27, 2005 8:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great

That is amazing but I must remind you there is more snow on Velebit and it is directly above the sea as Biokovo :-) But yes, our mountains are quite unique in this category on whole Mediterranean! Olympus and Sierra Nevada are much higher. If Velebit was that high I’m certain we would have permanent snow above the sea. The reason why I thought that you have something to do with Sv.Jure is because I think Biokovo is rarely visited in winter on foot from the coast, especially when there is so much snow like now, it is really hard to get up there and return. I'm curious how did you get here? My guess is that you tried the road and it turned out that is was cleared just in front of you? Or you were on foot from the coast? :-)



Sasa

vaude

vaude - Feb 27, 2005 9:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

I agree on your remarks about snow on coastal mountains, but the biokovo is much closer to the beaches than velebit (sveto brdo and vaganski vrh are about 8-10km from seashore, zavizan I think more , comparing about 1,5 km air distance from sv.ilija to beaches of baska voda). I often climb on biokovo in every season,on winter when the road is cleared I usually use it to get the mountain hut, then I walk around to lokva or to sibenik depending of amount of snow and enjoy in sight of dalmatian islands sitting in the snow. If it isn t cleared we use the road for the orientation and walk to the top. During winter much harder way is from north, or south from bast to sv ilija or motika. Climbing on biokovo is tricky becouse snow on sunny days get wet, and during the night it become hard like concrete, which make it dangerous for climbing.

rokaj

rokaj - May 26, 2005 6:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Beautifull

I have to say sorry to you, that I found your photos so late. Amazing. If I wouldn`t know Makarska I would say this is somewhere higher or at least somewhere away from coast. You discussed with Sasa already. great. I must go up there this year. We are often in Caklje willage on our summer holiday but there is always something wrong. And I`m still without visit on Biokovo. By feet of course. Regards

Thank you for such a photos.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5