Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Aug 2, 2009 11:02 am - Hasn't voted

Ha!

You are too funny. BTW, I like to sleep on hummocks with rocks poking me in the back.....

Titanium

Titanium - Aug 18, 2009 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ha!

Glad you enjoyed the hummocks! For more hummock-humor, check out a recent whitewater kayaking trip post:
http://titaniumpersonaltraining.blogspot.com/2009/07/of-hens-and-watermelons.html

nickkarl

nickkarl - Aug 2, 2009 12:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Random Thoughts

Sometimes a collection of random thoughts can be the best advice you will ever get! Thanks for the entertaining write-up.

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Aug 2, 2009 10:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

I dig your writing style... this one flows well and it's a pleasure to read.

Keep in mind, though, that not all of us learned how to climb by taking mountaineering courses. Some did it the old fashioned way... by gradually doing harder and harder stuff, and by climbing with a variety of partners with a variety of experiences. ;)

Cool story! Have a beer at the Arctic Bar for me... if it's still there.

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Aug 3, 2009 12:09 am - Voted 10/10

This was great!

Ha! I loved this! Great article/thoughts!

lingana

lingana - Aug 3, 2009 6:06 am - Hasn't voted

Nice !

Funny and nice way of saying - Beware....
I liked the last part - If you don't know who you are: hehehehe !!!!
REALLY FUNNY...
Good One...

Alpinechallenges

Alpinechallenges - Aug 3, 2009 9:11 am - Hasn't voted

Im not usually one to start contraversy usually, but....

All very insightful and good wisdom for most people.
That being said, I have done Mt. Rainer in two days, off the couch, unguided and it took us half the time must guide books suggest. If I went back to do it again, I would do it alone, in a day, car to car, with my skis, as many of my friends have done. If you are not a climber, the above advice is wondeful for you.
It is a big mountain and can kill people. Hire a guide, get good gear, train hard, period.
My take on it, if you are experienced enough to have a well used harness and broken in boots, scratched up crampons and a well worn pack, then you are probably experienced enough to climb Mt. Rainer. Being from a Badass state like Montana helps too!!
( I am probably one of those guys that overestimates his ability by 1/3)
Thanks for your wisdom Titanimum

Steve Larson

Steve Larson - Aug 3, 2009 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Entertaining, but...

just a wee bit overblown, dontcha think?

realdeal577

realdeal577 - Aug 3, 2009 2:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Entertaining, but...

Yes,
way overblown!! Its Rainier not K2!

Titanium

Titanium - Aug 3, 2009 3:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Entertaining, but...

Remain calm... you are not the target audience. It was a humorous piece written for the benefit of those who have not climbed and are thinking of jumping into the fray without fully thinking it through. Believe me, there are one or two members of that audience still lost on the way to White River campground. Cheers :)

realdeal577

realdeal577 - Aug 5, 2009 6:13 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Entertaining, but...

Sorry if I offended you. It was a good read, actually it made me think a little. =)
Al

Titanium

Titanium - Aug 18, 2009 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Entertaining, but...

No offense taken- and I should have clarified the target audience up front.

ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - Aug 3, 2009 8:19 pm - Voted 4/10

Beginners perspective

It was interesting to read the perspective of a beginner.

Titanium

Titanium - Aug 18, 2009 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beginners perspective

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." TS Eliot

Cygnus - Aug 3, 2009 10:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Entertaining AND...

Funny! And might help some of the folks who dont perpetually have a bivy sack or crampons drying in the bathroom.

Baarb

Baarb - Aug 4, 2009 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Good read

As a current climber of active volcanoes rather than snowy mountains I found the article full of useful advice particularly with regards to fitness and gear hire. I've had invitations from colleagues to climb Cotopaxi and Rainier before but having read this certainly makes me reassess my state of readiness for such things.

welle

welle - Aug 6, 2009 12:31 pm - Hasn't voted

self-loathing sexist

"Rule of thumb, if you are a guy- you probably have overestimated your fitness level and capability by at least 1/3. If you are a woman, you have most likely underestimated by ½."

I was going to actually put a title "Sexist", but then clicked on your profile - don't generalize and put down your gender! We, women, actually tend to be way conservative. Also, just like in rock climbing, I find that women tend to make smaller more efficient steps then huge lunges men make that use bigger quad/ham/glute muscles that take up more oxygen...

MountaingirlBC

MountaingirlBC - Aug 9, 2009 4:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: self-loathing sexist

I think she was saying that women tend to be more fit than they think wasn't she? I think you are both making the same point. :)

Titanium

Titanium - Aug 18, 2009 2:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: self-loathing sexist

Mountain Girl mediated that one nicely- but I have to say that is the first time a woman has offered me such a title... to read my thoughts on "a woman's place" in life:
http://titaniumpersonaltraining.blogspot.com/2009/07/follow-this-blog.html

welle

welle - Aug 21, 2009 11:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: self-loathing sexist

LOL, I just re-read it, and yes, MountainGirl is right. Sorry!

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Return to 'Climb Mt. Rainier' main page