Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 20, 2008
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Cloud Peak

Mountain Shadow
Part of the hike up Cloud Peak



This summer my family and I decided to hike/climb to Cloud Peak in the Big Horn Mountains. We took our heavy backpacks and hiked up to Mistymoon Lake. The bridge across the stream at one point of the trip was taken apart. You have to be prepared to walk through cold rushing water, or you can walk across a log and jump through many small islands. Also be prepared for the mosquitoes. There are almost none of them at first but as you head to Lake Helen there will be lots of them. The mosquitoes were almost unbearable, they swarmed everywhere and forced you to wear thick all-covering clothing even while sweating. We camped above Mistymoon Lake and headed out in the morning to Cloud Peak. Be prepared to cross more streams, the good thing is that while you head up the mosquitoes start to diminish. We did some boulder hopping and scrambling on our way up and got to the top. There were storm clouds coming in and it started to snow on our way down from the peak. The peak had beautiful 360 degree views of the mountains that surrounded Cloud Peak. I advise you to be ready for any conditions, including snow. So bring gear that could keep you warm in the freezing nights. We got caught in a small snowstorm up there but luckily, my dad pushed us to go faster and stay together in order to avoid it. The trip ended with us going to sleep in our tents that night and heading down back the mountain in the morning to the nearby parking lot.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Dean

Dean - Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Interestingly enough

We were just a few days behind you as we summitted on Thursday, the 24th. A group from Wisconsin was also on the mountain and they were camped near the waterfall. 12 of them altogether. Congrats to you and your family for doing this one. Its a long day and you get to fight mosquitos later in the day at camp. If you have pictures, you will probably get some votes on this page. BTW, there is a summitpost page for Cloud Peak that you can attach this report to.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150249/cloud-peak.html

Wiktoria Plawska

Wiktoria Plawska - Jul 27, 2008 6:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interestingly enough

Thanks, and good job finishing the summit. I have to agree with you, the mosquitos there are bad. I am going to attach some photos on here soon, and i saw that site, they give some good
information there.
How do you gain power or vote, i also need to know how to attach those images.
Thanks again.

Dean

Dean - Jul 27, 2008 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interestingly enough

Power rating is based on submission of a lot of quality material and if you look at the top rated members of this group and check their submissions, you will begin to see what I mean. Images are attached by going to the mountain page, in this case, Cloud Peak and clicking on the Add Image or Add Trip report line located on the left side of the page (under Contribute). Your trip report can be added that way by clicking on the Add Trip Report and then using the Attach existing line. Images can be added by clicking on the Add Image and then on the Create New. Its pretty easy and you'll catch the hang of it in no time. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics and I'll add a few as well once I take the time to download them from my camera.

Wiktoria Plawska

Wiktoria Plawska - Jul 31, 2008 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interestingly enough

Okay thanks, i attached an image, but how do you attach a primary image?

Dean

Dean - Aug 1, 2008 11:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interestingly enough

Take the number that identifies the pic and put that number in the slot for primary image that is found when you go into edit mode.
The edit mode is at the top of the trip report. Click on that and scroll down until you find the spot for the primary image. Plug in the pic number and voila, you'll have a primary image for your trip report.

musicman82

musicman82 - Oct 8, 2009 11:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Good work

Hey Wiktoria,
You should click on the attach/detach link above this page and make the Cloud Peak page a parent instead of a related page. That way it will show up alongside the other Cloud Peak trip reports...

Take care,
Tim

Viewing: 1-6 of 6