Cofre de Perote Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Ted Bauer

Ted Bauer - Feb 10, 2023 6:04 am Date Climbed: Jan 22, 2023

Doggone good hike.  Sucess!

Very busy hike with option to walk up the road or on trails. Most seemed to be doing a combo.

I had a dog walk with me most of the way. Excellent parking lot at the refugio for car camping.

JessBee23

JessBee23 - Feb 8, 2023 6:56 pm Date Climbed: Feb 6, 2023

First Mexic-ano  Sucess!

My first Mexican volcano! Climbing the Cofre in preparation for the Pico, of which I am in awe. When you see it from Cofre and know that it is a whole km higher you can't help but be amazed! (You can tell I'm not an experienced climber, eh?)
Following your post, Scott, I camped at the Centro Recreativo, (thanks, Angèl, for the toilets and electric!) above El Conejo. Was a cold night, my waterbottle had ice in when I woke up, but it had been a golden full moon rising over Perote on the evening, so I felt blessed despite the temperature.
I started out at 7.30am and made it to the Peña and back in 6 hours. Very happy to have claimed my first mountain on the North American continent, even happier when I found out it was higher than I thought. Also very happy to have made it down without the hellish knee pain I have experienced before on descents. 5 years of yoga have paid off after the horror of the descent from Ben Nevis (Scotland) in 2017. Onwards and upwards...to the Pico via...

blueshade

blueshade - Apr 20, 2020 10:42 am Date Climbed: Mar 16, 2020

Perote  Sucess!

Last swan song of the trip. Pretty mild and boring compared to the rest, but after doing Orizaba the day before we were dragging more than usual. Stay on the ridge before the first peak for a couple mild knife edges with cable handrails.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm Date Climbed: Jan 8, 2017

A Month Of Volcanoes  Sucess!

I spent a month climbing volcanoes. Other peaks I bagged on this trip include...

Mexico:
Volcán La Malinche, Pico de Orizaba (country highpoint, 3rd highest in North America), Volcán Iztaccíhuatl, Pico de Aguila, Nevado de Toluca, Cerro de Ombugo, Pico de Humboldt, Nevado de Colima, Cerro Tancitaro

Guatemala:
Volcán Pacaya, Volcán Tajumulco (country highpoint, 24th most prominent peak on earth), Volcán Concepción, Volcán Tacaná (2nd highest in Central America), Cerro Chemal "La Torre", Cerro Chemal "Cerro los Cuervos", Montañas Peña Blanca, Volcán Santa María, Volcán Atitlán, Volcán Acatenango

Costa Rica:
Volcán Poás, Volcán Barva, Volcán Irazú, Cerro Chirripó (country highpoint, 36th most prominent on earth), Cerro Piramide, Cerro Terbi, Cerro Buenavista

Trip report with photos and video

Kessler

Kessler - Jan 8, 2017 5:00 pm Date Climbed: Dec 24, 2016

Cofre de Perote  Sucess!

12-24-2016

Scott

Scott - Jan 1, 2017 8:35 pm Date Climbed: Dec 24, 2016

Cofre de Perote  Sucess!

Kessler, Steve, Caleb, David and I climbed Cofre de Perote today. We didn't start until late morning because all the buses the day before to Perote were already full! We didn't leave Puebla until the morning.

As soon as checking into a hotel, we caught a taxi ride to El Conejo, where we started our hike. Rather than following the cobblestone road, we found trails in most places that avoided the road, including one that was modified for mountain bikes, but seemed to be long abandoned (by bikes).

We made our way to the summit area and found the steep cement staircase and handrails to the top of the summit block. There was one patch of old snow on top. The weather was great and the views were fantastic. The radio towers on top were a distraction though.

After climbing the peak, we descended the mountain and about half way down to El Conejo, we caught a ride back to El Conejo in the back of a pickup truck.

After reaching El Conejo, we had to walk towards Perote. We walked all the way down past El Rancho Nuevo before flagging down a taxi. Kessler had to run ahead quickly in order to catch it.

Because of the late start, it was a long day.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Mar 18, 2015 8:53 pm Date Climbed: Mar 18, 2015

Niebla, Cielo y Sol  Sucess!

Hiked from the gate to the park, and made some friends hiking to the summit. Brewed some coffee perched on one of the tower bases overlooking the dropoff on the southeast side of the Cofre. Spent a few hours hanging out up there throwing snowballs and enjoying the constant dance of clouds, mist and intermittent sunshine. Plan to camp in two weeks at a lake on one of the sub peaks with some amigos from Jalapa..

ncst

ncst - Oct 27, 2009 10:41 am Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2009

Nice walk  Sucess!

Took a taxi to El Conejo and walked up to the summit from there. It was a cloudy day but still enjoyed it very much.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Cofre de Perote' main page